C. F. FLEMING, one of the prominent and well to do citizens
of Delhi township, Delaware county, Iowa, was born in the city
of Stockholm, Sweden, June 3, 1828. He came to America in 1837,
landing at Kingston, Mass., where he made his home for some
years. He followed the high seas from 1837 to 1848, during which
time he visited many countries. In 1848, when gold was
discovered in California, Mr. Fleming was among the first to
visit the Sunset State in quest of the precious metal. He went
to California by way of the Isthmus of Panama and spent seven
years in the mining districts of that state. He followed mining
some, traded and kept a general store while he was there. In
1855 he returned to his former home in Massachusetts.
In 1858 Mr. Fleming removed
to Delhi, Delaware county, Iowa, and erected a large mill on the
Maquoketa river near Delhi, which for several years was run
almost day and night.
In 1888, Mr. Fleming
purchased a plantation in Kemper county, Miss.
In 1855 he married, taking to share his life's fortunes
Miss Mary S. Holmes, of Plymouth, Mass. The result of this union
has been six children, viz.: Charles F., deceased; Andrew M.,
David H., Edmund, Mary L., and Elice C., deceased.
In politics Mr. Fleming has always been identified with the
democratic party. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
He was one of a company of
seven who organized and built the St. Paul & Davenport railroad
through Delaware county.
He now owns over five hundred
acres of land in the county and at one time owned over fourteen
hundred. He also owns a section of valuable land in Ida county,
Iowa, the adjoining little town of Galva.
Mr. Fleming is a genial,
affable gentleman and an enterprising, public-spirited citizen.