George O. White, who is engaged in general farming on
section 16, Delhi township, was born in McHenry county, Illinois,
on the 20th of December, 1850, his parents being Benjamin F. and
Betsey (Tubbs) White. The father died before the birth of George
O. White, who was the youngest of three children, the others
being Betsey and Benjamin. The daughter is now deceased.
Following the death of her first husband Mrs. White left Illinois
with her parents and came to Delaware county, Iowa, in the year
1851, settling upon the present site of Delhi. Her father secured
a quarter section of land, which he entered from the government,
and later bought another quarter section, which he lost owing to
the hard times. He died many years ago and his remains were
interred in the cemetery at Delhi. In 1857 E. M. White came to
Delaware county, and not long afterward he married Mrs. Betsey
White. They were not related, although of the same name. Their
three children were: Hattie, the deceased wife of E. J.
Carpenter; John R., living in Delhi; and Lou, who occupies a farm
east of the place upon which George O. White resides. The father
of these children made farming and stock raising his life work
and was regarded as one of the useful and valued citizens of the
community. He was generally interested in public affairs and gave
his endorsement to various plans and measures for the general
George O. White, who has spent practically his
entire life in Delaware county, attended the district schools and
started out for himself when about twelve years of age. Since
that time he has been dependent upon his own resources and his
energy efforts have been the foundation upon which he has built
On the 28th of October, 1874, Mr. White was united in
marriage to Miss Hattie Rich, daughter of Theodore and Elizabeth
(Tillie) Rich, natives of England. They emigrated to Iowa in 1853
and both have now passed to their reward. In 1888 Mr. and Mrs.
White took up their abode upon the farm which is now their home.
Today the place comprises more than three hundred and twenty
acres of rich and arable land, all of which is under cultivation,
responding readily to the care and labor bestowed upon it by the
owner. Mr. White has erected all of the buildings upon the place
except the house, which was built in 1859. He carries on general
farming and also raises graded stock. Everything about his place
presents a neat and thrifty appearance and in his farm work he
follows the most practical arid progressive methods. His place is
divided into fields of convenient size by well kept fences and he
utilizes the latest improved machinery to facilitate the work of
handling the crops from the time of early spring planting until
after the harvests are gathered in the late autumn.
In his political views Mr. White is a stalwart
democrat and has served as trustee and assessor of his township.
He keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day and
votes according to the dictates of his judgment. He stands for
progress and improvement along all lines and is accounted one of
the valued residents of the community.