C. Smith is one of the most prominent of the successful farmers and stock
raisers of Delaware county. He has also
commercial connections and formerly divided his time between agricultural and
mercantile interests, but now concentrates his efforts largely upon the
former. He was born in Richland, township, Delaware
county, a son of William B. and Orril M.
(Cowles) Smith. The father was a native of Canada, born October 10, 1826, and
was a son of Nathan L. Smith. In the public schools of his native country
he pursued his education and then took up the occupation of farming. When
a young man he crossed the border into the
United States and made his way to Kane county, Illinois, where he engaged in
farming for about three years. In 1851 he crossed the plains and went to
California, where he remained for two years. After returning to Illinois
William B. Smith carried on farming for about one year and in 1854 arrived in
Delaware county, Iowa, which was then a frontier
district in which the work of development and improvement had scarcely
been begun, as is indicated in the fact that there was still much land in the
possession of the government. He entered a claim of one hundred and sixty
acres and subsequently added to his original holdings from time to time until
he became the owner of about nine hundred acres. His business interests
were so wisely, carefully and systematically conducted that he became one of
the most prominent and prosperous farmers of the county and in addition to
cultivating the cereals best adapted to soil and climate he dealt extensively
and successfully in live stock. His political allegiance was given to the democratic party, but he was never an aspirant for
office. His wife passed away November 17, 1905, while his death occurred on
the 27th of December, 1910. In the family were seven children: Henry C.; Orril Ione; Willard
C.; Katie L., the wife of Albert Bush; Loren C., who married Margaret Boardway; Saydie, the
wife of Maurice Hamm; and Ethel, the wife of D. J. Crain.
C. Smith attended the public schools until sixteen years of age and afterward
took up the occupation of farming in Richland township.
Later he came to Manchester, where he continued his education by four years'
attendance at the schools of this city. At the end of that time he embarked
in the drug business as a clerk for E. J. Conger and was thus employed for
twelve years, during which time he not only thoroughly mastered every phase
of the business but also acquired the capital that enabled him to purchase
the drug store of W. E.Brown. Four years later he
extended the scope of his business by adding an undertaking and furniture
department. At a later period, however, he disposed of the furniture and
undertaking business to A. D. Brown, but remains proprietor of the drug store
to the present time, although through the last three years he has not been
active in the conduct of the business, but he still remains the owner. He now
devotes his attention in the main to his to farming interests. He is engaged
extensively in the buying and selling of horses and is the largest dealer in
Shetland ponies in the county. He handles both registered horses and cattle
and he owns and cultivates three hundred and twenty five acres of rich and
productive land, being recognized as one of the most progressive farmers of
Delaware county, his business enterprise and
ability being manifest in his substantial and growing success.
31st of December, 1882, Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Harriet E.
Tilton, a daughter of Edmond and Sarah E. (Hamilton) Tilton. Her father was
born in Philadelphia, February 17, 1831, acquired a public-school education
and for several years was employed as a bookkeeper in a store in his native
city. In the '50s he came to Iowa and for a short period resided in Dubuque,
whence he later removed to Cascade. There he conducted a hotel and also
engaged in merchandising for several years, and on the 20th of May, 1866, he
came to Manchester, where he opened a hotel and restaurant, remaining in
close connection with the business interests of the city for many years and
ranking as one of the leading residents here to the time of his death, which
occurred January 22, 1911. In his family were three children: Helen R., who
died in infancy; Jennie; and Mrs. Henry C. Smith. To Mr.
and Mrs. Smith have been born five children: Howard T., who married Florence
Wilson and has three children, Henry W., Howard T., Jr., and Harriett I.;
Mildred, the wife of George W. Mernitz; Glenn H.;
Kate I.; and Harry E.
member of the Masonic fraternity, Mr. Smith has attained the Knights Templar
degree, and he also has membership with the Knights of
Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. His political endorsement is given to the
democratic party, but the honors and emoluments of office have no
attraction for him, as he prefers to concentrate his energies upon his
business affairs, which have ever been capably conducted. Although he started
out in the business world in a humble capacity and for twelve years acted as
a clerk before he could embark in an independent business venture, he is now
one of the men of affluence in the county, his prosperity having been
honorably and worthily won.