Chauncey W. Mead, a retired agriculturist residing on section 9, Delaware
township, where he still owns a highly improved tract of one hundred and
thirty acres, here devoted his attention to the pursuits of farming and
stock-raising throughout his active business career. His birth occurred in
Mishawaka, Indiana, on the 8th of February, 1835, his parents being Allen and
Rhoda (Crouch) Mead, both of whom were born in the state of New York.
They removed to southern Indiana in 1830 and there
purchased a tract of land heavily covered with timber, which the father
cleared and on which he erected a log cabin and barns, and eventually the
place was converted into an excellent farm. The mother of our subject there
passed away in 1835, and subsequently Allen Mead married again. In 1853 he
came to Delaware county, Iowa, here entering a tract of land on which he spent
the remainder of his life, being called to his final rest in 1865. To Allen
and Rhoda Mead were born two sons, namely: Milton, whose birth occurred in
1833 and who died in 1870; and Chauncey W., of this review.
The latter acquired his education in the common schools
and remained under the parental roof until he had attained his majority. He
continued the operation of the old homestead in Delaware township after his
marriage and subsequently purchased the property, devoting his attention to
its cultivation throughout his active business career. In connection with the
production of cereals he also devoted considerable attention to stock-raising,
winning a gratifying measure of success in both branches of his business. In
his declining years he is living retired, enjoying the fruits of his former
toil in well earned ease.
On the 29th of July, 1860, Mr. Mead was united in marriage to
Miss Ruth A. Eaton, who was born February 24, 1843, in Cuba, Allegany county,
New York, a daughter of Edmond L. and Ruth W. (Buffum) Eaton. They came to
Delaware county, Iowa, in 1856, locating in Manchester, where Mr. Eaton worked
at the trade ofshoemaking. Subsequently he purchased a farm in Delaware
township and took up his abode thereon, both he and his wife spending the
remainder of their lives on the property.
They became the parents of five children, four of whomstill
survive. To Mr. and Mrs. Mead have been born six children, as follows: Rhoda
E., who died in young womanhood; Frank A., an agriculturist residing in
Delaware township; William D., also of Delaware township; Cora B., who died in
infancy; May C., who is Mrs. Clifford Ryan of Honey Creek township; and
Charles D., a resident of Caputa, South Dakota.
Mr. Mead gives his political allegiance to the republican
party and has done public service in the capacity of school director.
Fraternally he is identified with Camp No. 89 of Modern Woodmen of America and
the Jones Mill Grange, of which latter organization he is a charter member and
to which his wife also belongs. The period of his residence in Delaware county
covers more than six decades and the circle of his friends and acquaintances
is very wide. He has now passed the seventy-ninth milestone of life's journey
and enjoys the veneration and the respect which should ever be accorded one
who has traveled thus far on this earthly pilgrimage and whose career has been
at all times upright and honorable.