The McGlade family are of Scotch-Irish descent and manifest the
splendid qualities of character usually associated with that race. They are
widely and favorably known in South Fork township, where the grandfather,
William McGlade, settled in 1857 upon removing to this state from Ohio. He was
accompanied by his wife and his eight children: Anna; Sarah, the wife of
Robert Dunlap; Jane, the wife of Alexander Anderson; Maxwell; Martha, now Mrs.
Robert Stevenson; Mary, at home; Ellen, the wife of Gibson Reed; and John.
Maxwell McGlade was born in Ohio, January 1, 1838, and
came with the family to Hopkinton in 1857. He supplemented his public-school
education by attendance at Lenox College and then taught district school until
1867, when his marriage occurred. After that event he removed to a farm
adjoining his father's place, which he had purchased some time previously, and
he continued to operate his land until his death, which occurred August 14,
1906. He was very successful as an agriculturist and won more than a
competence. He was a deacon and later an elder in the Reformed Presbyterian
church and always took an active interest in all phases of church work. For a
number of years he was secretary of the Hopkinton Creamery and was methodical
and systematic in the discharge of the duties of that office.
On the 12th of November, 1867, Mr. McGlade married Miss
Elizabeth Stevenson, who was born in Ohio on the 15th of January, 1842, a
daughter of Archibald and Isabelle Stevenson. Her father was a school teacher
in his young manhood but later became a farmer. Since the demise of her
husband she is making her home with two of her sons. The children born to Mr.
and Mrs. McGlade were as follows: William was born September 18, 1871. Stephen
was born February 3, 1873. Mary, whose natal day was the 14th of February,
1875, is keeping house for her mother and two unmarried brothers. Hugh, born
May 21, 1877, is a college bred man, being graduated from Lenox College in
1898 with the degree of Bachelor of Science. For a year he taught school, but
has since devoted his time and energies to farming. He owns one hundred and
sixty acres of fine land and specializes in the raising of stock, selling
annually large numbers of hogs, cattle and horses. He is a deacon in the
Reformed Presbyterian church and is active in the support of all movements
which lead to the betterment of the community.
He is a director in the Hopkinton Creamery, which is one of
the most thriving of the local business enterprises. On the 21st of November,
1906, he was married to Miss Mary Hale, a native of Ireland, and to them have
been born two daughters: Elizabeth, whose birth occurred May 13, 1908; and
Ruth, born July 11, 1910. Anna completes the family of Maxwell McGlade. She
was born January 20, 1879, and is the wife of John McNeill, a farmer.
The family are members of the Reformed Presbyterian
church and are highly esteemed wherever known. William and Stephen own in
partnership two hundred and eighty acres of land and the mother and daughters
hold title to one hundred and twenty acres. The farms are kept in a fine
condition and a great deal of high grade stock is raised, which brings a good
price upon the market. The brothers have always voted the republican ticket
and they believe that its policies are best adapted to securing the permanent
prosperity of the country