William Hunt, a well known merchant of Earlville, has done much to
make possible the business expansion of his town. He was born in this county on
the 13th of March, 1873, a son of James and Elizabeth (Gibbs) Hunt. He was
reared and educated in his native county and received the advantages of a high
school training. He remained at home until he became of age and then engaged in
farming for a year, after which he entered into partnership with his brother
George in the mercantile business, which association has been continued to the
present time. A large share of the credit for the splendid condition of the
affairs of the firm must be given to the subject of this review, who has shown
himself an astute business man who understands thoroughly the branch of
merchandising in which he is engaged and is also a discriminating student of
Mr. Hunt was married on the 14th of February,
1895, to Miss Jennie M. Keirn, who is also a native of this county. Her birth
occurred November 26, 1875, and her parents were Patrick and Lessie (Cloud)
Keirn, the former of whom is deceased, while the latter is still living. Mrs.
Hunt was one of a family of five children and by her marriage became the mother
of three sons and one daughter: Archie M., born December 10, 1895, now a
graduate of the College of Commerce at Waterloo, Iowa; William B., born August
3, 1897; Howard H., March 20, 1899; and Jennie L., July 26, 1903. Mrs. Hunt
passed away August 5, 1903, and was laid to rest in the Earlville cemetery. Mr.
Hunt was again married on the 17th of June, 1905, Miss Nellie Merten becoming
his wife. She was born in this county on the 19th of January, 1873, a daughter
of J. S. and Candis (Patridge) Merten, both of whom are living. Two children
have been born to Mr. Hunt's second union, namely: Merten J., whose birth
occurred August 26, 1906; and Earl H., born November 11, 1907.
Mr. and Mrs. Hunt are members of the Congregational
church and exemplify their religious faith in their daily lives. He is a
republican and has served upon the school board and in the town council.
Fraternally he belongs to Lodge No. 286, A. F. & A. M., and has filled a number
of chairs therein. He has gained material prosperity, but more than that, he has
aided in the development of his town, and the esteem of his fellow citizens is
the just reward of his public spirit.