Frank S. Harris owns and operates seventy eight acres of land in Coffins
Grove township, this place being the old
homestead of the Harris family. He was born in Wisconsin, March 10, 1852, a son
of Reuben P. and Elizabeth S.
(Seymour) Harris, both natives of New York, whence they removed to Wisconsin in
the early '50s. In 1867 the father
came with his family to Delaware county, Iowa, and located on the farm which is
now the home of our subject. The
mother died on this place in 1905 but the father is still living and is now in
his ninety first year. He makes his home on
the farm with his son.
Frank S. Harris was a youth of fifteen years when
the family removed from Wisconsin to Delaware county, so that
much of his life has here been passed. He received his early education in the
common schools of Wisconsin and after
the family home was established in Iowa, he continued his studies here. He gave
his father the benefit of his services
until he reached his majority, at which time he assumed the management of the
home place and with the exception of
seven years, spent in North Dakota, he has lived on the homestead continuously
to the present time. He now owns the
property, comprising seventy eight acres, which is located on section 28,
Coffins Grove township, and here he makes
a specialty of dairying and stock raising.
Mr. Harris was united in marriage in 1878 to Miss
Augusta Ward, who was born in New York, a daughter of John
and Catherine (Dockstader) Ward, who were likewise natives of the Empire state
but in 1870 came to Iowa, where
the father followed agricultural pursuits. Later they removed to Wisconsin and
there Mr. Ward passed away. His wife,
however, died in her native state. They had a family numbering ten children. The
marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Harris has
been blessed with five children: Reuben W.; Walter F.; Archie; Sadie, the wife
of Joseph Singer; and Elizabeth, the
wife of A. Thomas.
Mr. Harris is a republican in politics and for twenty
two years served as township clerk, while for twenty years he was a member of
the school board. His fraternal relations connect him with Ebenezer Lodge, No.
587, I. O. O. F., in
which he has filled all the chairs. Both he and his wife are highly esteemed in
the community where they have so long
resided and where they have a host of warm and admiring friends.