John A. Dunlap is successfully farming
upon section 18, Milo township, this county, and is regarded as one of the
progressive agriculturists of his township. He was born in Hazel Green township
in 1861, a son of James B. and Clara M. (Comstock) Dunlap, natives of Ireland
and Pennsylvania respectively. The father came to the United States from the
Emerald isle and first settled in Ohio, where he remained until 1856, when he
removed to Dubuque. Iowa. He worked there for a time for others and then, in
1857, purchased a farm in this county and continued to reside thereon until his
removal to Hopkinton, where he lived retired. He passed to his reward in 1902,
deeply mourned by many friends. His marriage occurred in Dubuque in May, 1860,
and he became the father of ten children, namely: John A.; Myra and Thomas, who
died when infants; Robert E., who died in 1906; Ida B., the wife of Ralph
Andrews, a resident of Minnesota; George C., who passed away in July, 1885; J.
E., living in Hazel Green township; William J., who was called to his last rest
in February, 1908; Clara M., who resides at Hopkinton with her mother: and David
L., a resident of Syracuse, New York,
medical director in Syracuse University.
John A. Dunlap was reared upon the home farm and
acquired his education in the common schools of the neighbor hood. He has
continued to follow the occupation to which he was reared and is now the owner
of one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 18, Milo township, four miles
south of Manchester. He follows mixed farming, raising graded stock in addition
to cultivating the fields, and his activities yield him a gratifying profit.
On the 26th of March, 1889, Mr. Dunlap was united in
marriage to Miss Emma F. Miller, a daughter of Jacob K. and Catherine (Wagner)
Miller, both natives of Pennsylvania. Her father passed away in 1900, but her
mother survives and resides in Delhi township with a son. Mr. and Mrs. Dunlap
have become the parents of four children: Bemba M., at home; Leila I., the wife
of Chester McCarthy, a farmer of Delaware township; and Forest J. and Kenneth
G., at home.
Mr. Dunlap is a republican and has held the office of
school director for several years. He realizes the vital connection between the
advancement of the public schools and the progress of the community, state, and
nation, and does all in his power to maintain the local schools at a high
standard of efficiency. His entire life has been spent in this county and he has
not only won material success for himself, but has aided in the agricultural
development of his locality and has won the confidence of his fellow citizens.