Mrs. Emily G. Dunlap, since her husband's death,
has ably carried on the farm in Hazel Green township which he purchased in 1904.
She was born in Milo township, this county, June 29, 1871, a daughter of David
G. and Emily J. (Box) Miller, both sturdy pioneers of Iowa. The father was born
at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, and was a son of Joseph and Alice L. Miller,
representatives of colonial families. When but a boy David G. Miller removed to
Davis, Illinois, and later to Earlville, Iowa, where he was united in marriage
to Emily J. Box, a daughter of Daniel and Sybella Box, who were natives of
England but in 1840 emigrated to this country.
Emily G. Miller grew to womanhood in Milo township, beginning
her education in the little white schoolhouse situated near the home farm and
later attending school in Rowan, Iowa. On the 29th of February, 1888, she was
united in marriage to Robert E. Dunlap, a son of James B. and Clara Dunlap,
residents of Hopkinton, Iowa. They were of Scotch descent, the father being a
native of the land of hills and heather, whence as a young man he emigrated to
America. He was a prominent figure in the early history of this county and is
yet remembered by many.
Mr. and Mrs. Dunlap began their married life upon a farm in
Hazel Green township, but later Mr. Dunlap engaged in the livery business in
Coggon. On the 18th of March, 1893, they left Iowa and removed to Hay Springs,
Nebraska, where they lived for a number of years. That section was then a newly
opened country and Indians were still very numerous, hunting parties of the red
men often camping near Hay Springs. Two complete crop failures occurred during
the panic of 1893 and 1894 and almost all of the settlers left that part of
Nebraska, but the Dunlaps remained and were foresighted enough to purchase the
land of those who left in discouragement. They bought one thousand acres in all
and engaged in cattle and horse raising, which proved a lucrative occupation. In
1904, however, owing to the ill health of Mr. Dunlap, the ranch was sold and the
family returned to Ryan, Iowa, purchasing a half section of land in Hazel Green
township, this county. On the 24th of July, 1905, Mr. Dunlap passed away,
leaving a widow and five children to mourn his loss.
The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Dunlap are as
follows: J. Ross, whose birth occurred at Coggon, Iowa, on the 19th of January,
1890; Dean D., born in Ryan, May 28, 1892; Dorothy C., born April 24, 1895;
Helene L., born March 9, 1898; and Theodore L., born at Hay Springs, Nebraska,
July 19, 1901. The children are attending high school and Lenox College at
Hopkinton, as Mrs. Dunlap realized the value of an excellent education at the
present time when competition is keen in all departments of life.
Since the death of her husband she has given her home and
children loving care, has successfully managed business affairs and has also
found time for social duties, and this record of accomplishment proves her a
woman of unusual energy and ability. Not only is she held in high respect by all
who know her, but her friends value highly her friendship, as they appreciate
her many gracious and womanly qualities of character.