John Cruise, Jr., has lived in Manchester for several years but during his
active life was a farmer residing on section 12, Oneida township. He was born in
England on the 22d of April, 1838, a son of John and Harriett (Colwell) Cruise.
The family emigrated to the United States in 1845 and first located in Du Page
county, Illinois, but in 1854 removed to Delaware county and settled upon a farm
in Oneida township. They had entered land from the government in Illinois and
did the same in this county upon their arrival here. The parents resided upon
their farm in Oneida township until called to their reward. Three of their
eleven children still survive.
John Cruise, Jr., received his education in an old log school house in the
neighborhood of his home and when not in school assisted his father with the
work of the farm, remaining under the parental roof until he became of age. He
then rented land for three years, after which he bought a farm in Oneida
township and in 1862 took up his residence thereon. He lived there and devoted
his time to its cultivation until 1908, with the exception of eight years. In
1893 he took the prize at the World's Fair for best exhibit of yellow corn. In
1908 he retired and moved to Manchester, where he has since resided. He is a man
of sound business judgment and of absolute trustworthiness, and for twenty five
years has been administrator for estates, settling up affairs to the full
satisfaction of the heirs. He owns three hundred and twenty acres of land in
North Dakota and one hundred and thirty acres in this county.
In 1858 Mr. Cruise was united in marriage to Miss Eliza Rogers, who was born in
England, a daughter of Thomas and Jane Rogers, who came to America in 1845 and
settled in Du Page county, Illinois, where they lived until 1854, when they made
their way to Delaware county, Iowa, taking up their residence upon a farm in
Oneida township. Both passed away in this county. Mrs. Cruise was one of a
family of eight children and became the mother of nine children: Clara V., the
widow of S. M. Cook and a resident of Cedar Falls, Iowa; Elmer F., who resided
in Dubuque, where he died; Harriett, the wife of A. Mclntosh, of Manchester;
Lucy J., the wife of Thomas McCormell, of Washington, D. C.; Cora M., now Mrs.
W. C. Amsden, of Manchester; Louella J., the wife of L. B. Miller, of
Minneapolis; Louisa, the wife of F. Kenney, of Waterloo, Iowa; John L., of
Atlantic, Iowa; and Martha A., who married Charles Leibe, of Earlville, Iowa.
Mrs. Cruise died in April, 1884, and was laid to rest in the Earlville cemetery.
In August, 1885, Mr. Cruise married Mrs. Fannie Pooley, the widow of Samuel
Pooley. By her first marriage she has three children: Fannie, the wife of S. F.
Hersie, of Cedar Falls, Iowa; Mary, who married G. F. Allen, of Spokane,
Washington; and Samuel J., of Grinnell, Iowa.
Mr. and Mrs. Cruise arc members of the Congregational
church and gladly support its work by liberal contributions and by giving of
their time as well. Mr. Cruise is a republican and has held a number of local
offices. He was county sheriff for eight years and treasurer of Oneida township
school district for twelve years, proving a capable and conscientious official.
Fraternally he was made a Master Mason in Square Lodge, No. 286, A. F. & A. M.,
at Earlville, in which lodge he is a past master. He is now a member of
Manchester Lodge, No. 165, A. F. & A. M.; the chapter, commandery and Mystic
Shrine. His life has been one of well directed and fruitful activity, and the
high place which he holds in the estimation of those with whom he has been
brought in contact is but his just due.