David Chrystal, who passed away on the 4th of September, 1913, in the
seventy first year of his age, was widely recognized as one of Delaware county's
most progressive and foremost farmers and stock raisers, owning four hundred and
forty acres of valuable land on sections 17 and 18, Hazel Green township. His
demise was the occasion of deep and widespread regret, for he had been a
resident of this county for more than four decades and enjoyed the respect and
esteem of all with whom he was associated. His birth occurred in Scotland on the
10th of November, 1842, his parents being Robert and Jane (Crowe) Chrystal, who
spent their entire lives in that country.
In 1870, when about twenty eight years of age, David Chrystal crossed the
Atlantic to the United States, landing at New York city on the 4th of March.
After a short visit with relatives in Canada he came to Delaware county, Iowa,
and for a time was employed as a farm hand in Hazel Green township. Possessing
the sturdiness and thrift characteristic of the Scotch race, he worked hard and
saved his money and in due time purchased a two hundred acre tract of land in
Hazel Green township. Subsequently he bought two hundred and forty acres more
and this tract has remained the family home to the present time. He erected
handsome residences, barns and other outbuildings on both properties and in his
undertakings won a measure of success that gained him recognition among the
substantial and most progressive farmers and stock raisers of the community. He
likewise served as a director of the Farmers Mutual Life Insurance Company and
acted as secretary of the local creamery.
On the 16th of December, 1880, Mr. Chrystal was united in marriage to Miss
Margaret Dunlap, a daughter of William and Eliza Dunlap, by whom he had four
sons, as follows: William R., who died in 1883; and Frank L., Harry and John
George, all at home.
Mr. Chrystal was a stanch republican in politics and took an active and helpful
interest in public affairs, serving his township as trustee and justice of the
peace for a number of years. In his demise, which occurred on the 4th of
September, 1913, it was generally conceded that the county had lost one of its
most esteemed and valued citizens.