known representatives of farming and stock raising interests in this county, the
Carrothers brothers enjoy the respect and goodwill of those with whom
they have come in contact and their circle of friends is an extensive one. They
have always lived in the county, have been identified with its agricultural
interests and have so directed their labors that success has come to them in
larger and larger measure. They were born on the farm in Prairie township upon
which they now reside, the natal day of William L. being May 13, 1871,
and of Thomas H. the 13th of May, 1874, there being exactly three years
difference in their ages. They are sons of Christopher and Annie (Johnston)
Carrothers, who were highly esteemed citizens of Prairie township, widely known
throughout the county. Mention of them is made on another page of this volume.
William L. Carrothers was reared upon the
home farm with the usual experiences that fall to the lot of the farm lad. He
was educated in the district schools, in the University of Iowa and in the
Waterloo Business College. He then returned to the old home farm and in
partnership with his brother, Thomas H.. has devoted his attention and energies
to farming and stock raising from that time to the present. The result of his
labors is seen in the splendid appearance of his place and in the excellent
crops which are annually garnered.
William L. Carrothers has been active in
community affairs, filling the office of township clerk, while in 1912 he was
the republican candidate for county treasurer. He is a stanch advocate of the
party and its principles and his opinions have had considerable influence in
party councils. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and has filled a number
of offices in the organization. He is likewise a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and has passed all the chairs in the local lodge, being now a
Thomas H. Carrothers supplemented his
district school training by study in the Upper Iowa University and in Drake
University at Des Moines completing a course in the business department of that
institution with the class of 1898. He has served as president of the Farmers'
Institute for two years and has ever been on the side of progress and
improvement in relation to agricultural as well as other affairs. He is also
secretary of the organization known as the Corn Belt Meat Producers'
The brothers are both enterprising, energetic
business men and their career has been marked by continuous advancement along
the well defined lines of labor that lead to success. They are widely known as
breeders of pure bred horses and cattle and upon their farm can always be found
some as fine specimens of live stock as are to be seen anywhere in the state.
Moreover, their business as feeders and shippers is carried on most extensively.
They make one or two large shipments yearly of about two hundred steers and they
bear a well earned and well merited reputation as enterprising, sagacious and
thoroughly reliable business men. They are well equipped to raise and feed large
herds of stock, for they have an extensive and fertile farm, giving them
excellent pasture land. They have added one hundred and twenty acres to the
original four hundred and eighty acres of the old homestead and theirs is one of
the fine farm properties of the county. It is equipped with good buildings
furnishing ample shelter for grain and stock and their place is lacking in none
of the accessories and equipments of the model farm of the twentieth century.
Whatever they undertake they carry forward to successful completion and their
well defined plans result in the attainment of substantial and gratifying
Both brothers are members of the Methodist
Episcopal church and they are widely and favorably known, their many sterling
traits of character gaining for them high regard in both business and social
circles. Men who have had dealings with them speak of them in terms of
confidence and esteem, and as native sons of the county their record has
reflected credit upon the district in which they have always lived.