E. Burroughs, and enterprising and representative agriculturists of Richland
township, owns a farm of eighty acres on sections 25 and 26 and cultivates his
land in accordance with the most practical and progressive methods. His birth
occurred in Boone county, Illinois, on the 7th of February, 1862, his parents
being Erastus and Mary (Webster) Burroughs, the former a native of New York
and the latter of England. The mother of our subject crossed the Atlantic to
the Untied States when she was sixteen years of age. Erastus Burroughs was
proprietor of the second store in Chicago and also owned a large tract of land
within the city limits, purchasing the property for three dollars an acre.
Subsequently he removed to Boone county, Illinois, and later came to Delaware
county, Iowa, both he and his wife here spending the remainder of their lives.
They had five children, two of whom survive.
J. E. Burroughs attended the common schools in the acquirement of am education
and after putting aside his text books turned his attention to general
agriculture pursuits, which have claimed his energies to the present time. He
now owns eighty acres of valuable land on section 25 and 26, Richland
township, and in the operation of that farm has won a most gratifying measure
of prosperity. He likewise owns three lots, a store and the opera house at
Edgewood and is widely recognized as one of the successful and esteemed
citizens of his community.
In 1886 Mr. Burroughs was united in marriage to Miss Lura A. Carey, by whom he
has two sons, namely: George E., who is a resident of Manchester; and
Frederick D., of Dundee. He gives his political allegiance to the republican
party and belongs to the Gleaners of Edgewood, of which organization his wife
and older son are also members.