Charles C. Barry has spent practically his entire life within the
borders of Delaware county and is widely recognized as one of its representative
agriculturists and honored pioneers. He owns and operates a well improved farm
of four hundred and eighty acres on section 35, Prairie township, which in its
attractive appearance bespeaks his careful supervision.
occurred at Saratoga Springs, New York, on the 19th of January, 1856, his
parents being John S. and Amelia M. (Brown) Barry, whose marriage was celebrated
at Williamstown, Massachusetts, on the 10th of March, 1851, John S. Barry was
born at Rowe, Massachusetts, December 23, 1827, and was a well educated man of
literary inclinations, who served as superintendent of schools at Saratoga
Springs until his hearing became impaired. He was a graduate of Williams College
of Williamstown, Massachusetts. In 1856 he brought, his family to Delhi,
Delaware county of Iowa, and the following year took up his abode on a tract of
three hundred and twenty acres of government land on section 35, Prairie
township, devoting the remainder of his life to agricultural pursuits. His
demise, which occurred in 1897, was the occasion of deep and widespread regret,
for he had gained many friends during the four decades of his residence here.
His wife was called to her final rest on the 22d of November, 1902, and both lie
buried in the Sandy Creek cemetery. They had three children, as follows: John S.
Barry, Jr., who passed away in Prairie township; Charles C., of this review; and
Martha, who is the wife of Henry W. Brayton.
Barry acquired his education in the public schools of Manchester and since
putting aside his text books has given his time and energies to farming. He owns
four hundred and eighty acres of Rich and productive land in Prairie township
and in connection with the cultivation of the soil also raises full blooded
shorthorn cattle. His agricultural interests are conducted in a most practical
and progressive manner, and he has long been numbered among the substantial
enterprising and representative citizens of his community.
married twice. In September, 1885, he wedded Miss Hortense Trenchard, a daughter
of Silas and Emma Trenchard, of Manchester. By this union there was one child,
Leah L., who is now the wife of Albert Masterhan. Mrs. Hortense Barry passed
away on the 29th of November, 1904, and her remains were interred at Manchester.
Subsequently Mr. Barry married Miss Emma Masterhan, a daughter of Henry
Masterhan, who demise occurred several years ago. By his second wife Mr. Barry
has three children : Beatrice B., Delva D. and John S., all at home.
politics Mr. Barry is a democrat and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth
and ability, have called him to numerous Township offices, the duties of which
he has ever discharged in a most efficient and commendable manner. He has always
shown great interest in all that pertains to the general welfare and has been
known as a public spirited man who has ever found time and inclination to
cooperate in the movements for the public good. In all the relations of life he
has been honorable and straightforward, and his example is well worth of
emulation. He is a member of the blue lodge No. 165, A. F. & A. M.; Olive Branch
Chapter , No. 40, R. A. M.; Nazareth Commandery, No. 33, K. T.; El Kahir
Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; and to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.