Tuskeego Photos & Images

Bloomington Township
(click on images for larger views)
Tuskeego, located between Lamoni and Kellerton, was a railroad station along the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad line. Because the CB & Q Railroad preferred to have stations every ten 10 miles, Tuskeego became a likely location when the railroad expanded from Leon to Mount Ayr via Davis City, Lamoni and Kellerton.

Tuskeego was laid out in 1879 on land owned by A. M. JACKSON. J. C. Varney was the first depot agent. The first building was erected in 1879 and a post office was established the same year with J. L. Jackson as postmaster. S. W. HURST was the first merchant.

Tuskeego grew slowly with only two stores in 1887.

HOWELL, Prof. J.M. & SMITH, Heman C. "History of Decatur County, Iowa and Its People." Chapt. XIV. S.J. Clarke Pub. Co. Chicago. 1915.
Transcription by Sharon R. Becker

Tuskeego School
Aug. 2009

Tuskeego School
Aug. 2009

Tuskeego School
Aug. 2009
Last House Standing
Aug. 2009 and Dec. 2017
Contributed by Sharon Becker and Michael Emerson Avitt
  Tuskeego Baptist Church 
Courtesy of Michael Emerson Avitt, Mar. 2022
History Index   ***   Decatur County IAGenWeb