Washington Township District 7 Schoolhouse
Photo from the Buck Grove Centennial Book
The following is an article published in the Harlan Tribune, in Harlan, Iowa, which gives a brief history of the school that no longer exists.
Patrons, Pupils, Past and Present Pay Last Respects To Old School
About one hundred former pupils, parents, and teachers of District No. 7 in Washington township gathered at the old schoolhouse on the hill on Sunday afternoon for one final gathering before the school is abandoned. Most of the pupils now attending the school are second generation of the same families who attended some thirty years ago. In at least one instance, three generation were represented with the daughters and grandchildren of Pat Clinton all of whom received their elementary education at district No. 7.
The records dating before 1913 were lost but since that time a complete record of the teachers and pupils is still preserved and much of the afternoon was spent poring over these records. The younger generation was especially pleased when they could check up on their dad's record and found some of his grades left much to be desired.
Later in the afternoon, Mrs. Wm. Brosnahan read an historical report taken form the records telling of the teachers and pupils that had attended No. 7.
As far as can be ascertained the school house was built around 1884 with John Donnelly as the first director. Some other directors who served many years were Gus Arnold, August Hulsebus, Nels Jensen, Pat Clinton, and in later years the second generation of Robert Arnold, Don Hulsebus and Wm. Brosnahan have taken over the job. Many others have also served in this capacity.
Some of the earlier teachers were Hattie Masterson, Rose Noonen, Florence Wetherby, Jennie Parker and Ann Walters. The present teacher is Mrs. Carmen Kenkel of Defiance. Clara Bachmann, of Denison who taught there several years also was present for the reunion. Some of the earlier families who lived in the district were the Weises, Noonens, Clintons, Scheurmanns, Wilsons, Johnsons, and Hermans.
Three former pupils entered the ministry, namely; George Hulsebus, Louie Weiss and Glen Hulsebus. The old schoolhouse has been the scene of many a gathering when the box socials, programs and community meeting were held regularly, and always a picnic at the end of the school year. The Easter cyclone in 1913 did not leave the building untouched. During the summer months many a tourist has stopped at the school for lunch and a bit of rest. The gypsies camped in the yard and many a hobo took refuge on the premises.
Source - Harlan Tribune, May 25, 1956
Submitted by Phyllis Heller