Generation No. 1
1. CLAUS HINRICH WENDT (FRANZ) was born July 12, 1840 in Reipendorf Germany, and died November 16, 1912 in Denison Iowa 51442. He married MCNICOLINE CATHARINA MAGARETHA VOSS February 22, 1861 in Burg, Fehmarn, daughter of HINRICH VOSS and DOROTHEA BOCKWOLDT. She was born April 18, 1839 in Wangels, Faroe, and died November 03, 1917 in Clinton Iowa.
Notes for CLAUS HINRICH WENDT:
Mr. C.H. Wendt
Wendt- On Saturday Nov 16,1912 at his home in Denison Iowa. Mr. Claus Henry Wendt aged 72 years, 4 months, and 4 days, pneumonia being the immediate cause of death. Claus Henry Wend was born on July 12, 1840 in Schleswig Germany. He was married to Miss Nicoline Voss. To this union were born 6 children, two of them preceded their father to the grave. Those living are: Mrs. Earnest Goldensoph of Clinton Iowa, Frank of Chicago, Johann of Hanover twp and Theodore of Denison. One sister and a brother reside in Germany. These together with the widow servive the deceased. Mr Wendt and family came to America in 1869 and located in Clinton Iowa. Twelve years later the family came to Crawford County, where they resided. The last thirteen years Mr and Mrs Wendt have been residents in Denison. The funeral services were held on Monday morning at 8:30 at the Lutheran Church, Rev F. Freeze officatiang. The members of the Laudwehr Verein, of which society Mr Wendt had long been secretary, turned out in a body and attended the services. The deceased was possessed of many good traits being an honest, upright, law abiding citizen and one whose loss is deeply mourned. The Review extends sympanthy to the beraved relatives.
The German Brotherhood
One of the potent factors in Denison life is the German Brotherhood. This was founded 4/17/1886, by a number of our prominent German citizens whe served in the army of the Fatherland. The object of this organization was to promot friendly intercouse among the members and to perpetuate German lifesyle and German tongue. The first president was Mr. Theodore N. Peterdorf The organization was continued for a number of years as a military brotherhood but later the name was changed as as given above and the society was made to include all citizens of the German decent. The society now numbers abpit members. Benefits are paid to the families and society is in splendid financial condition. In 1900 three lots were purchased and in 1903 a hall costing was erected. In 1906 a park of 4 1/2 acres was purchased and these properties are all owend by the society with out indeptedness. The present officers are President J. F. Harthun, who has held the office for seventeen years: Vice President John Pump, Secretary, C.H. Wendt, Treasurer F. Faul.
More About CLAUS HINRICH WENDT:
Notes for MCNICOLINE CATHARINA MAGARETHA VOSS:
Death at 12:15 this morning claiming McNicoline Catherine Wendt, aged mother of Mrs. Ernest Goldensoph of 527 Sixteenth avenue, after a illness of nearly two years with cancer. McNicoline Catherine Margaretha Voss was born April 18,1839 at Hansohn Germany. February 22,1861 she was untied in marrigae with Claus Henry Wendt. They were partents of six children, two died in infancy. The family came to Clinton Iowa in 1869 and lived here 21 years, then going to Denison, where they lived on a farm 13 years and Mr.Wendt died November 16,1912. Mrs Wendt came back to Clinton for his funeral and remained here to make her home with her daughter. Two son's Johann and Theodore of Denison, the daughter in Clinton, nine grandchildren, five Great grand children, one brother Ernst Voss of Denison are the living relatives. The funeral will be held at home Monday agternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev Hugo Grimm of Lyons will officiate. Buriel will be made at Springdale.
More About MCNICOLINE CATHARINA MAGARETHA VOSS:
Children of CLAUS WENDT and MCNICOLINE VOSS are:
2. i. CHRISTINE WENDT, b. April 02, 1860, Hansohn Germany; d. April 25, 1950, Mercy Hospital in Clinton Iowa.
Generation No. 2
2. CHRISTINE WENDT (CLAUS HINRICH, FRANZ) was born April 02, 1860 in Hansohn Germany, and died April 25, 1950 in Mercy Hospital in Clinton Iowa. She married ERNEST GOLDENSOPH August 02, 1884. He died 1922.
Notes for CHRISTINE WENDT:
Mrs. Tena Goldensoph
Mrs Goldensoph, 90, died about 6:30 am today at the Mercy Hospital were she had been a paitent since Feburary 25th. She made her home with her daughter Mrs. Francis DeVine, 246 Seventeenth Place, for the last ten years. Mrs. Goldensoph was born Tena Wendt in Germany April 2,1880 the daughter of Claus Henry and Lena Nicoline Wendt, and came to the United States with her parents at the age of seven. The family settled in Commanche Iowa. She married Ernest Goldensoph Aug 2,1884 in Clinton Iowa and lived here since then. Mr Goldensoph died in 1922. The last of her immediate family Mrs Goldensoph was proceded in death by four brothers. Her daughter and two grandson's and neices and nephews survive.
More About CHRISTINE WENDT:
Notes for ERNEST GOLDENSOPH:
E. W Goldensoph - Ernest William Goldensoph passed waway at his home, 527 16th ave on Monday afternoon at 2:25 pm after a years illness following a stroke of paralysis. Funeral services will be held at I.O.O.F in charge. He , was born in Holstein Germany April 27,1858 and cme to this country at the age of 11 years and since resided in this city, He attended the Clinton Schools was employed at the C. Lambs and Sons Saw mills as a filler for 33 years and for the last 16 years up to the time of his illness in August 1921 was a janitor at the Manual Training school. Thirty-eight years ago August 2 he was united in marriage to Christina Wendt of Clinton, wh with his daughter. Mrs. Frances DeVine survives. There are also three sisters, the Misses Lottie and Emma Goldensoph and Mrs. Ed Clark and many other relatives. He was a memeber of Walhgalla lodge I.O.O. F. 150 Star of Truth lodge 207, Encampment and Brotherhood of American Yeomen, a good citizen and a kind and true friend, always ready to help when needed. At home he was ever a loving father, Sunday he passed an unusally happy day with his family and seemed much better health until 5:40 Monday morning after which time he became weaker.
More About ERNEST GOLDENSOPH:
Child of CHRISTINE WENDT and ERNEST GOLDENSOPH is:
i. ALICE GOLDENSOPH (ADOPTED).
3. FRIEDRICH WENDT (CLAUS HINRICH, FRANZ) was born January 1861 in Germany. He married BERTHA September 20, 1884 in Chicago Il. She was born January 1860.
Children of FRIEDRICH WENDT and BERTHA are:
i. GEORGE WENDT, b. January 1888.
4. JOHANN M WENDT (CLAUS HINRICH, FRANZ) was born March 19, 1863 in Hanover, Germany, and died February 01, 1934 in Denison, Iowa. He married CAROLINA RATH September 06, 1887 in Lutheran Parsonage in Denison Iowa, daughter of FRED RATH and HENRIETTE BROEHE. She was born November 12, 1861 in Bleckendorf , Holstein Germany, and died April 12, 1922 in Denison.
Notes for JOHANN M WENDT:
Johann M Wendt
Johann M Wendt, resident of this county for more than 50 years died at the home of his son, Adolph, Sat after a illness of only four days duration. Funeral Services were held from the Schnoore and Kock funeral home tuesday afternoon 2:00 with Rev. G Parker of the first ME Church officiating internment at family plot is in Lutheran Cemetery. The deceased was born in Germany May 19,1863 and came to the US with his parents when he was three years old. The family first resided at Commanche Iowa and in 1881 they moved to Crawford County, setteling on a farm in Hanover twp. In 1887 he was married to Carolin Rath, who departed this life in 1922. The family resided in Hanover township until after Mrs Wendts death, since which he was been farming and makeing his home with his children. One child died in infancy, those surviving are Henry C, John C, Martin CA, Adolph C, and one step son Frank Rath, all of Denison. He leaves to mourn are one sister, Mrs Tena Goldensoph and grandchildren.
More About JOHANN M WENDT:
Notes for CAROLINA RATH:
Mrs. John Wendt
Mrs John Wendt passed away this morning (Wednesday) at 1 o'clock at he home of Hans Flagmann in Paradice township , the cause of death being pneumonia. Miss Carlyn Rath was born at Holstein Germany November 12,1861 and when she was quite young she came to the United States. She was united in marrigae to John(Johann) Wendt of Denison Iowa on Sept 16,1887. She leaves to mourn six children, Frank Rath of Alma Mn, Henry C Wendt of Denison, Mrs Jessie Flagman of Dow City , John P. Wendt of Denison, Martin C.A. Wendt of Denison, Adolph C Wendt of Denison. Eddie passed away June 8,1909. She also leaves a sister, Mrs Ernest Voss of this city. Funeral services will be held on Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the farm of Hans Flagman near Dow City. Brief services will be held at the Schnoor funerall chapel of Denison that afternoon at 3 o'clock. Rev Wetzeler will officiaing after which internment will be made in the Lutheran Cemetary near Denison.
More About CAROLINA RATH:
Children of JOHANN WENDT and CAROLINA RATH are:
6. i. FRANK RATH-STEPSON, b. May 26, 1884, Schleswig-Holstein Germany; d. June 30, 1958, Merrill Iowa.
Notes for EDWARD J.H. WENDT: This is written on Edward's head stone:
"Trill herzu abne Banger Liebing Christus Selbstwild dein Celeter Soin"
translated in English: "Fare well without fear, darling, toward Christ himself, the crucified"
** note this puzzle finally solved By Else Buegge-Wood Translations
On Edward death certificate it states he died of Scarlet fever.
5. THEODOR WENDT (CLAUS HINRICH, FRANZ) was born 1864 in Schleswig Germany, and died December 22, 1928 in Denison Community Hospital. He married CATHRINE MIEGELSEN June 17, 1889, daughter of CLAUS MIEGELSEN and EDA JACOBS. She was born April 09, 1873 in Schleswig Germany, and died July 17, 1943 in DeWitt Iowa.
Notes for THEODOR WENDT:
Theodor Wendt was married and fathered one child named Claus Henry Wendt, later the name of the child was changed to Claude. His mother Anna Stayton Wendt left him in Denison and moved the child back to Clinton Iowa. She changed the name and remarried having other children. Theodor lived with two other old bachlors, they were always drunk. One night when they went to bed after getting drunk, they all slept together, the other guy rolled over ontop of Theodor and smothered him to death.
The many friends of Ted Wendt were suprised to learn Friday that he was dead. When not working out of Denison the deceased made his home with William Buddie in the house just back of Roch blacksmith shop, where they maintained a bachelors quarters. Fred Plough stayed with them Thursday night and the three slept in one bed. When Plough and Buddie arose in the morning they found Ted had passed away some time during the night. Mr. Wendt has lived in Crawford county for many years and has worked in all parts of the county as a farm hand, He was known as a excellent hand and his services were always on demand. Ted Wendt was born in the year 1863 on the isle of of Fehmarn Germany and came to theis county with his paernts in 1868, where the family located in Commanche, Clinton Iowa area. He came to Crawford County in 1881 and was married. He leaves to mourn his death a sister in Clinton, Mrs Earnest Goldensphoh, his brother Johann Wendt of Hanover township and other relatives and many friends. No arrangements have been made as of yet.
** Theodor was buried in the Crawford County Cemetery, approximatly 5 miles West of Denison, 1 1/2 miles south across the Boyer river in a unmarked grave.
More About THEODOR WENDT:
More About CATHRINE MIEGELSEN:
Child of THEODOR WENDT and CATHRINE MIEGELSEN is:
12. i. CLAUDE HENRY WENDT, b. March 11, 1891, Denion Iowa; d. October 30, 1951, Clinton Iowa.
Generation No. 3
6. FRANK RATH-STEPSON (JOHANN M WENDT, CLAUS HINRICH, FRANZ) was born May 26, 1884 in Schleswig-Holstein Germany, and died June 30, 1958 in Merrill Iowa. He married SOPHIE BOEHM November 15, 1913 in Denison Iowa. She was born 1897, and died August 30, 1982 in Merrill Iowa.
Notes for FRANK RATH-STEPSON:
Was a carpenter all of his married life. Moved from Denison Iowa area to the Merrill Iowa area, then on to Minnasota
More About FRANK RATH-STEPSON:
More About SOPHIE BOEHM:
Children of FRANK RATH-STEPSON and SOPHIE BOEHM are:
13. i. ELIZABETH ALVINA RATH, b. March 24, 1914; d. December 19, 1972.
7. HENRY C. WENDT (JOHANN M, CLAUS HINRICH, FRANZ) was born May 16, 1888 in Crawford Co Iowa, and died March 31, 1976 in Denison Iowa 51442. He married MARIE JETTER. She was born November 01, 1892 in Crawford Co Iowa, and died February 28, 1976 in Denison Iowa 51442.
More About HENRY C. WENDT:
More About MARIE JETTER:
Children of HENRY WENDT and MARIE JETTER are:
19. i. LOUISE WENDT, d. Lutheran Cemetary Denison.
8. JESSIE RIENKA WENDT (JOHANN M, CLAUS HINRICH, FRANZ) was born November 15, 1890 in Denison Community Hospital, and died January 15, 1954 in Dow City Iowa. She married HANS FLAGMANN January 10, 1913, son of HEINRICH FLAGMAN and MARIA HOLMES. He was born 1891 in Dow City Iowa, and died November 18, 1958 in Dow City Iowa.
More About JESSIE RIENKA WENDT
Children of JESSIE WENDT and HANS FLAGMANN are:
i. ANNIE MAGDELENA FLAGMAN, b. October 06, 1913, Dow City Iowa; d. October 18, 1913, Dow City Iowa. Burial: Denison Lutheran Cemetary
9. JOHN PETER WENDT (JOHANN M, CLAUS HINRICH, FRANZ) was born December 21, 1890 in Hanover twp, Iowa, and died January 02, 1963 in Crawford Co. Hosp. in Denison Iowa. He married LILLIAN MESSENBRINK. She died 1994 in Sterling Ill.
Notes for JOHN PETER WENDT:
More About JOHN PETER WENDT:
Notes for LILLIAN MESSENBRINK:
Child of JOHN WENDT and LILLIAN MESSENBRINK is:
25. i. GENIEVIA WENDT, d. 1963.
10. MARTIN CHARLIE AMEL WENDT (JOHANN M, CLAUS HINRICH, FRANZ) was born July 25, 1894 in Denion Iowa, and died November 13, 1962 in Denison, Iowa. He married EVA MARGARETA LADEHOFF February 14, 1919, daughter of DETLEF LADEHOFF and WILLAHEMINIA LADDEHOFF. She was born January 01, 1900 in Dension Iowa, and died October 04, 1985 in Denison, Iowa.
More About MARTIN CHARLIE AMEL WENDT:
Children of MARTIN WENDT and EVA LADEHOFF are:
i. IRENE WENDT, b. 1919; d. 1920.
11. ADOLPH C WENDT (JOHANN M, CLAUS HINRICH, FRANZ) was born March 05, 1898 in Denion Iowa, and died February 13, 1978 in Denison Iowa 51442. He married ANNIE BENDIXION December 28, 1923 in Denison Iowa, daughter of CARL BENDIXION and PAULENE PETERSEN. She was born January 29, 1889 in Bren Germany, and died December 28, 1986 in Denison Iowa 51442.
More About ADOLPH C WENDT:
More About ANNIE BENDIXION:
Children of ADOLPH WENDT and ANNIE BENDIXION are:
29. i. ARNOLD WENDT, b. December 26, 1933, Crawford Co Iowa; d. August 06, 1997, Bergan Mercy Hospital.
12. CLAUDE HENRY WENDT (THEODOR, CLAUS HINRICH, FRANZ) was born March 11, 1891 in Denion Iowa, and died October 30, 1951 in Clinton IOwa. He married ANNA STATON August 18, 1915 in Dewitt Iowa, daughter of TOM STANTON and MILLICENT SIMONS. She was born 1893 in Leeds South Dakota, and died August 17, 1948 in DeWitt Iowa.
Notes for CLAUDE HENRY WENDT: Theodore got into some trouble with the law in Denison, Anna took her baby and went back to Clinton Iowa. She changed his name from Claus to Claude Henry Wendt. She divorced Theodore and remarried.
More About CLAUDE HENRY WENDT:
Children of CLAUDE WENDT and ANNA STATON are:
31. i. KATHRINE MARIE WENDT, b. August 21, 1916, Clinton Iowa; d. December 24, 1973, Clinton Iowa.
Submitted by Sharon Hopper. She is the great-great granddaughter of Claus Hinrich Wendt.
Copyright ©2016 by the Crawford County, Iowa, IAGenWeb Project and Contributors.