First Baptist Church
Dow City, Iowa
ca. 1860-1930 History
Although there is no Baptist Church in Dow City today, there was a time when it filled an important place in the Dow City community. Mr. S.E. Dow, the founder of Dow City, gave a piece of land for the purpose of erecting the church. This must have been during the 1860's.
Rev. Denison, the founder of the Denison Baptist Church (1857), was instrumental in organizing this church. Rev. Denison held services in Mr. and Mrs. Dow's log cabin. This was in the late 1850's.
Mr. and Mrs. Dow were faithful members for fifty years. The land given was to be used for church use and it was with much difficulty that a title was given to a private person.
Sometime in the late 1920's or early 1930's the church closed its doors. With the closing of the church, the records were not preserved, so no accurate accounts of the dates can be made. The church was located where Pat Blankman now lives. The parsonage was located in the former Mary Griffin home now owned by James Thurston.
Source: 125 Years of Dow City-Arion History 1869-1994
We thank Cindi Simon for submitting this material.