St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Iowa Synod
1896 - 1914
The Swedish Church
Charter Oak, Iowa
These are two churches in Charter Oak which no longer exist, each having a relatively short longevity in the community.
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran
The church was organized March 1, 1896 with the following charter members: George Neddermeyer, William Topf, B. L. Jacobsen, Charles Radeck, Charles Buaman, and F. Radeck.
The first meeting was held in the Swedish Lutheran Church, at which place services were conducted each third Sunday for some years. In later years, they met in the City Hall as they never had a church building of their own.
In 1905, a two and a half acre site was purchased for $400.00 and laid out as a cemetery. The cemetery is located one mile east and one mile north of Charter Oak.
In 1911, the congregation of adults and children numbered 120 individuals, with its membership numbering 32 and its communicants numbering 70. The membership remained small and disbanded in 1914.
Pastors that served the congregation were Rev. E. Gabriel, as the first pastor in 1896; Rev. A. Mathias, 1897-1900; Rev. H. Schliesser, 1900-1903; Rev. H. Wendt, 1903-1906; Rev. A. C. Zeilinger 1907; and Rev. H. Wendt, 1908.
The Swedish Church
The Swedish Church was located at the corner of 2nd and Birch. The church had an unusual design with a turret top that was characteristic of the builders Wm. Keim Sr. and Mr. Haworth. According to the 1891 Charter Oak Times History of Charter Oak " The Swedish Church is another excellent structure and was built in 1890."
Not much more is known of the church except that Victor Larson, Gus Larson, and Oscar Samuelson were members.
In the early 1900's the church was sold and was made into a house by Theodore Drake and Elmer Hayworth.
Source: The 1991 Charter Oak centennial book.