After seeing a large part of the world, William Fleming settled in Crawford county and is now known as one of its representative citizens, his beautiful farm of three hundred and eighty acres in Stockholm township being convincing evidence of his business ability.
He is a native of Scotland, born December 31, 1850, and is a son of Rev. James and Isabella (McClelland) Fleming, both of whom spent their entire lives in that country. There were twelve children in their family and eight of them are now living.
William Fleming was educated in the common schools and continued at home until sixteen years of age, when he yielded to an irresistible desire to visit distant countries and went on board a ship which carried him to New Zealand. He spent three and one-half years upon a ranch as a shepherd. Returning home, he remained for one and one-half years amid familiar scenes and then bade farewell to relatives and friends. and crossed the ocean to America.
In 1875 he located in Crawford county, Iowa, and purchased eighty acres of land in West Side township, which he cultivated with a goodly measure of success for nine years. Disposing of that farm, he bought land in Stockholm township and as the years passed and his resources increased he acquired adjoining farms until he now has one of the most valuable properties in the township. He devotes his attention largely to raising, feeding and shipping cattle and Duroc Jersey hogs, and a visit to his place will prove that he has attained unusual success along these lines as well as in the cultivation of the grains. He is also a stockholder in the Farmers' Telephone Company of East Boyer.
In 1883 Mr. Fleming was united in marriage to Miss Mary Currie, who was born in Scotland, December 25, 1864, a daughter of Duncan and Mary (Smith) Currie. The family came to America in 1872 and located in Sac county, Iowa. The parents are now deceased.
Nine children came to bless the union of Mr. and Mrs. Fleming, namely: James D. and John, both of Crawford county; Mary and Grace I., at home; Jessie E., who is now engaged in teaching school; Margaret; Nellie and Willie, twins; and Charles R.
On the 24th of October, 1909, Mr. Fleming was called upon to mourn the loss of his beloved wife whose remains were interred in Odebolt cemetery, in Sac county. She was a true and helpful companion and a woman of many sterling qualities that greatly endeared her to those with whom she was associated.
Mr. Fleming and his children are identified with the Methodist church and are active workers in its behalf. Politically he supports the principles and candidates of the republican party and although he has not sought public office he has served as a member of the school board and as road superintendent. He has always been governed by a desire to observe truth and justice in his dealings with his fellowmen, and he has many friends in a section where he has lived for more than a third of a century.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.