A well improved farm of one hundred acres in Hayes township pays annual tribute to the energy and skill of William Ewoldt.
He has been identified with agricultural interests all his life and was born in Muscatine county, Iowa, July 31, 1871, a son of Henry and Dora (Vinke) Ewoldt. The parents were both natives of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. The father emigrated to the United States in 1864 and after living for a short time in Scott county, Iowa, went to Muscatine county, where he was married to Miss Dora Vinke. They lived in Shelby county but moved to Carroll county in 1879, coming to Crawford county in 1888. He cultivated land on section 22, Hayes township, for six years, at the end of which time the family took up their residence in Arcadia, Iowa. The father and mother are now living at Manning. There were fourteen children in their family, namely: Louis, deceased; Amelia, who married John Schumann, of Hayes township; William; Minnie, also deceased; Emma, who resides at Manning; Henry, of Oakland, Iowa; Laura, who is the wife of Richard Schroeder, of Muscatine county; Bertha, deceased; Louise, the wife of Fred Baker; Amanda, who married Dietlief Wunder, of Walcott, Iowa; Clara, the wife of Claus Clausen, of Manning; Emil,deceased; Irene; and Carl A., who died in infancy.
William Ewoldt grew to manhood under the paternal roof and received his early education in the district schools. He continued with his parents until twenty-four years of age and then began farming on his. own account on section 14, Hayes township. He continued on that place for thirteen years and in 1909 removed to his present location. His farm is well improved and as he applies good judgment to his work it produces liberal annual returns. He makes a specialty of raising Hereford cattle.
In 1896 Mr. Ewoldt was united in marriage to Miss Katie Kruse and three children were born of this union: Carl, deceased; Edward; and Emil.
In politics Mr. Ewoldt gives his support to the democratic party. He served as township clerk for two years and as road superintendent for three years, displaying an energy and ability as a public official that met the hearty approval of the people. He is a sincere believer in the Bible and an active worker in the Protestant Lutheran church. As a member of a large family he early learned to perform his share of the work about the house and in the fields. The habits of industry and application acquired in youth have continued with him in mature years and he is now one of the prosperous farmers of his township. He owes his success to his energy and perseverance, and his example has been instrumental in inducing others to apply themselves more industriously and thus promote their own interests and those of the entire community.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.