Although a native of a foreign land and therefore obliged to meet with many obstacles in effecting a foothold in America, William Eiffert never yielded to discouragement and is now living in a beautiful home at West Side in the enjoyment of a comfortable competency.
He was born in Germany, February 26, 1854, a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Gerhold) Eiffert, both of whom passed their entire lives in the old country. There were eight children in the family, namely: William, of this review; Carl, now living in Germany; Conrad, of West Side; Elizabeth, the wife of Bernard Lange, of South Dakota; Gertrude, deceased; Henry and Herman, both of West Side; and Catharina, deceased.
William Eiffert received his early education in the public schools of his native land and remained in Germany until several years after reaching the estate of manhood. In 1880, having decided to seek his fortune in the new world, he crossed the ocean and came to Jackson township, Crawford county, where he associated with his brother in purchasing two hundred and forty acres of land. They developed the property until it largely increased in value and then sold it and bought four hundred acres on sections 29 and 30, township 84, range 36, Carroll county, which they still own. In 1906 our sabject purchased a home with five acres of land in West Side, where he has lived retired with his family since 1907. As a farmer he attained a large measure of success through good judgment and habits of industry which he acquired early in life.
On the 25th of February, 1882, Mr. Eiffert was united in marriage to Miss Lizzie Spangler, a daughter of Henry and Johanna (Scheinsberg) Spangler, both of whom were born in Germany. Four children came to bless this union: Curt, now living in South Dakota; Martha, who is the wife of Rev. Fred Rolf, of Rock Island, Illinois; Helen, deceased; and Herbert, who is living at home and is attending school.
Mr. Eiffert and his brother Conrad have shown remarkable efficiency as agriculturists and stock-raisers and are worthy of the high respect in which they are held by their neighbors and friends. They are both men of generous spirit and may always be depended upon to assist in forwarding any worthy movement which aims to promote the permanent welfare of this region. They are classed with the leading citizens wherever they are known. Both are identified with the republican party and hold membership in the Evangelical church.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.