The agricultural abilities of Silas Thompson are directed toward the cultivation of a farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Nishnabotny township.
He was born about thirteen miles northwest of Davenport, Scott county, Iowa, on the 25th of July, 1852, and is a son of the late Montgomery and Rachel (Lease) Thompson. The Thompsons are of Scotch extraction, the great-greatgrandfather having emigrated from Scotland to the United States during colonial days, locating in Pennsylvania.
Montgomery Thompson was a native of the Keystone state, his birth having occurred in Thompsontown, whence he made his way westward by way of the Ohio river. His wanderings finally brought him to the lead mines in the vicinity of Dubuque, Iowa, where he, was employed until 1840, at which time he entered land in Scott county, where he was one of the pioneer settlers. He continued to reside there until 1872 or 1873, then removed to Davenport, thence to Kansas and later to the east. His wife. who was born in Stark county, Ohio, migrated from there to Scott county, Iowa, where they were married in 1849.
Four children were born to them: A. C, who is a farmer of Marshalltown, Iowa; Silas, our subject; Robert H., a resident of Nishnabotny township; and Victoria J., the wife of T. J. Campbell. The father was again married and by this union there were two children : Montgomery C, a resident of Burlington Junction, Missouri; and Harriet May, the wife of A. M. Collins, of Riverside, California. Mrs. Rachel Thompson passed away in Scott county on the 28th of July, 1865, and was laid to rest in Allen's Grove cemetery. Her husband survived until 1901, his demise occurring in Crawford county and his interment being at Manilla.
Silas Thompson acquired his education in the little log school house of the district where he was reared in Scott county, remaining a member of his father's household until he had attained his eighteenth year, at which time he removed to Crawford county, making his home with his brother for three years. He has ever since continued to reside here and now owns one hundred and twenty acres of land, which at the time he acquired it was unbroken prairie. His is one of the good farms of the county, the land being under a high state of cultivation, while the improvements are all good and substantial, the residence being the second he has erected during his occupancy.
On the 6th of January, 1877, Mr. Thompson was united in marriage to Miss Esther A. Mowry, of Clinton, Iowa, and they have become the parents of three living children: Grace Eleanor, the wife of O. A. Logue, of Martinsville, Illinois; Dawn Ethel, the wife of W. C. Goodnough, of Centralia, Washington; and H. S., who is at home.
The family affiliate with the Methodist Episcopal church, and politically Mr. Thompson is an ardent republican. He takes an active interest in local affairs and has served his constituency in both the capacity of trustee and school director. He is one of the well regarded men of the community in which he lives, his worth having been thoroughly tested during a residence which covers a period of more than forty years.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.