S. A. Dow
The name of Dow is an old and honored one in Crawford county, having been prominently identified with its progress and development for more than half a century. The present head of the family, S. A. Dow, who is mayor of Dow City, was born in the town where he now resides on the 12th of March, 1856.
The father S. E. Dow, was a native of New Hampshire, his birth occurring in 1821, but at the age of eleven years he migrated to New York with his parents, where they resided for one year and then went to Cass county, Michigan. He was educated and reared in the latter state, remaining a member of the paternal household until he had reached his twenty-fifth year.
On the 28th of October, 1846, he was united in marriage to Miss Chloe Anne Smith, who was born in Verona, New York, in 1825, the officiating clergyman being the Rev. Jacob Price. The young people began their domestic life in Michigan continuing to reside in that state until 1852, when they came to Iowa, first locating in Harris Grove, where they remained until November, 1855, at which time they removed to Crawford county and settled on a farm in Union township, the present site of Dow City. Both Mr. and Mrs. Dow possessed the essential qualifications of the pioneer and despite the hardships and privations, discouragements and misfortunes never lost hope and persistently clung to their determination, which was to establish a home on the Iowa prairies.
In 1866 the Northwestern Railroad came through Crawford county and a postoffice was located on their homestead called Dowville, Mr. Dow being made postmaster. Some time thereafter a church was erected through the efforts of Mr. and Mrs, Dow, who in 1857 had united with the Baptist church under the ministrations of the Rev. J. W. Denison. A school and stores followed later and soon quite a village had sprung up which was incorporated and named after the man on whose farm it stood. Mr. Dow was a man possessing unusual business acumen and at one time was interested in several proj ects, in all of which he met with most gratifying success and accumulated real estate in Union township. which aggregated twenty-six hundred acres.
Although engaged in the grain, stock and lumber business in addition to the cultivation of his large farm, he always had the time to fulfill his civic duties and gave his services to the advancement of any movement the adoption of which he felt would be of benefit to the community. He was always prominently identified with all local political matters giving his support to the candidates of the democratic party. That he was held in high esteem is evidenced by his election to many of best offices, among which were those of county treasurer and probate judge, which he filled in a highly creditable manner.
Six children were born unto Mr. and Mrs. Dow, three of whom died in infancy, and those who attained maturity were: Alma, now deceased; S. A., our subject; and William, a carpenter, residing in Dow City. The father passed away on the 3d of October, 1907, and the mother survived him only a few days, her demise occurring on the 30th of November.
S. A. Dow acquired his preliminary education in the common and high schools of Dow City, after which he attended the Baptist University at Des Moines. Returning home from college he went into business with his father, with whom he was identified until he was twenty-nine years of age, and then engaged in farming for a time, later opening a real-estate office. He has ever since continued in this business, handling both local and western property, and is meeting with more than average success.
In 1883 Mr. Dow was united in marriage to Miss Candice E. Davis, who is a native of Maryville, Missouri, and they have become the parents of two children: Golda Alma and Chloe Anne.
The family attend the Baptist church and fraternally Mr. Dow is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Improved Order of Red Men, while formerly he was also affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a strong advocate of the principles of democracy and takes an active and, helpful interest in local governmental matters. He has occupied the highest office in the municipality for the past two years, the responsibilities of which he. has discharged in a manner generally satisfactory to the community at large. He is highly esteemed in his native town, in the social life of which his family hold a distinguished position.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.