Nels P. Larson
Although Nels P. Larson was born in Sweden, he probably knows more about the United States than he does about his native land. He has traveled from New York to San Francisco and has also been in the south, gaining a good knowledge of the country before he finally selected Crawford county, Iowa, as his permanent home. He has seen no cause to regret his choice of a location, as he is now the owner of a beautiful farm which yields abundant annual harvests, making him practically independent financially.
He was born in Sweden, February 22, 1852, a son of John and Mary Larson, mention of whom is made elsewhere in this work.
Nels P. Larson was educated in the common schools of his native land, and in 1868 came to America with his parents, stopping for a while in New York city, where he worked as a teamster. He then went to Brooklyn, where he worked in a brickyard, subsequently being attracted to South Carolina, in which state he spent two years upon a cotton plantation and in a store. He next was identified with railroad construction in Pennsylvania as teamster for a year, and during the next three or four years spent his time largely in the coal mines. Having seen considerable of the east, he turned his face westward and crossed the continent to California, where he worked in a lumberyard for three years.
In 1879 he came to Crawford county, Iowa, and began farming, carrying his work forward with such success that he is now the owner of four hundred acres on sections 23, 24 and 25, Otter Creek township. He raises grain and feeds cattle and hogs for the market. He is also a stock buyer and shipper in company with N. P. Swanson of Kiron. In addition to other interests Mr. Larson is a stockholder of the Farmers Telephone Company of Kiron. As he is a man of good judgment he is recognized as one of the leading citizens in his part of the county.
On the 1st of January, 1886, Mr. Larson was united in marriage to Miss Christina Young, a native of Sweden and a daughter of A. P. Young. Both of her parents are deceased. Mrs. Larson came to this country with them in her infancy and was reared and educated here. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Larson has been blessed by the birth of three children, namely: Mildred, who is a graduate of music and is now living at home; Elwood L., also at home; and Louise, deceased.
Mr. Larson gives his support to the republican party and takes an active part in affairs of his township, having served as school director and as road superintendent for a number of years. He is a valued member of the camp of Modem Woodmen of America at Denison, and the Yeomen of the World at Des Moines. He and his wife were reared in the Lutheran church and are earnest supporters of that denomination. He is a man of great energy and determination, and as he possesses good business judgment, he is generally successful in his undertakings and is justly respected by all who know him.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.