Marion A. Cue
Among the successful farmers of Willow township is Marion A. Cue, who was born in the township where he now lives, September 15, 1872, a son of Joseph and Susan (Arrowsmith) Cue.
The father was born in Wiltshire, England, June 16, 1834, the mother being also of English parentage. The paternal grandfather, William Cue, was a farmer in England. His son Joseph came to the United States at the age of eighteen and lived at Woodford county, Illinois, and also at Danville, that state, subsequent to taking up his residence in Kansas for one year. Returning to Illinois, he enlisted in 1862 in Company C, Sixty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in which he continued until the close of the war, serving part of the time as corporal of his company. He was taken prisoner by the Confederates at Harpers Ferry but was exchanged and participated in the battles of Knoxville, Atlanta and Nashville, being in the thickest of the fight in the last named battle. During the war he returned to Illinois on a furlough and was married.
After receiving his honorable discharge he again took up his residence in that state, where he engaged in farming for five or six years. In 1871 he came with his family to Crawford county, Iowa, and located upon raw land in Willow township, which he improved until it became very valuable. He acquired about three hundred and twenty acres but gave a part of his land to his sons and still retains one hundred and sixty acres. In 1903 he retired from active labor and is now living at Wichita, Kansas. In the old country he was a member of the Church of England but since coming to America he has never affiliated with any religious denomination. Mrs. Cue, the mother of our subject, was a native of New York state and a woman of many estimable traits of character. She passed away May 18, 1901.
There were nine children in the family: Frank E., who is deceased; Alfred M., now living in Nebraska; Eliza, deceased; Marion A., of this review; Arthur and Oscar, both of whom are deceased; Augusta, who married William Nutter, a farmer of Willow township; Bessie; and Ralph, who is living on the home place.
Marion A. Cue was educated in the common schools of Willow township and as he grew to manhood devoted his attention closely to agriculture and stockraising upon the home farm. He continued with his parents uutil he reached the age of twenty-three years and then began farming on his own account in the immediate neighborhood of the homestead. He is now located on sections 29 and 32, Willow township, and owns one hundred and sixty acres, upon which he has made substantial improvements. He has labored diligently and persistently to provide a comfortable home for his family and has won substantial success.
On the 12th of February, 1896, Mr. Cue was united in marriage to Miss Dora McDole, who is also a native of this county, a daughter of G. H. and Susanna Catherine (Bodenbender) McDole, both of whom were born in Paulding county, Ohio. Her parents were married in the Buckeye state and took up their residence in Crawford county, Iowa, in 1869 but later returned to Ohio, They again came to Crawford county and located in Boyer township. Mrs. McDole died in September, 1909, but the father is still living and makes his home in Dunlap.
There were four children in their family: John Francis, of Mapleton. Iowa; G. H., jr., who is living near Spokane, Washington; Dora, now Mrs. Marion A. Cue; and Rosa L., who died in infancy.
One child, Leiter G., has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Cue. He is now a promising lad of fourteen years and is attending the public school.
Mr. Cue has spent his entire life in Willow township and it is doubtful whether any other man in the locality is better informed as to the resources of this section. He has from his boyhood been wide awake, ambitious and enterprising, and the success he has attained is evidence of his business ability. He is a man of unimpeachable integrity and honor and enjoys in the fullest degree the confidence of his neighbors and acquaintances. In politics he adheres to the republican party and has served for four years with general acceptance as township trustee. His name is not inscribed upon the rolls of any religious denomination but he is friendly toward all churches and especially so toward the Methodist church, being often an attendant at its services.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.