One of the representative farmers of Crawford county is Marcus Kuhl, who during the forty years of his residence in Iowa township has acquired eight hundred and ten acres of land, in the cultivation of which he is still engaged. He is another thrifty, energetic and persevering son of Germany who came to America empty-handed but richly endowed with those qualities which enable the ambitious man to dominate the conditions confronting him and win where his less determined brother loses.
Suderau, Krempe, Schleswig-Holstein, was the scene of the birth of Marcus Kuhl, whose natal day was the 2d of August, 1845. His parents, Peter and Augusta (Bremer) Kuhl, spent their entire lives in the fatherland, where their eldest child, Cecelia, continues to reside. Seven children were born unto them, our subject being the second in order of birth but the eldest son. The others are: Jochim, who is a resident of Benton county, Iowa; Anna, deceased; Henry, living in Manning, Iowa; the sixth who died in infancy; and John, who still lives in Germany.
Marcus Kuhl obtained his education in the common schools of his native land, of which he continued to be a resident until he attained his twenty-second year, at which time he determined to become a citizen of the United States, feeling assured that better advantages must exist here for ambitious young men than were to be found in the more conservative countries of Europe. Upon his arrival here he made his way westward to Davenport, Iowa, where he obtained employment as a farm hand, continuing to follow that occupation for; three years. At the expiration of that time he removed to Crawford county, locating in Iowa township, which at that time contained but two or three families, their nearest trading point being Denison. He settled upon the farm on section 4, where he has ever since continued to reside, and of which only about forty acres were broken, immediately engaging in its cultivation and making such improvements as he could from time to time.
Having absolute faith in the agricultural possibilities of the country he increased his holdings as he was able until the present aggregate of his real estate is eight hundred and ten acres, all of which is located in Iowa and Hayes townships. The land is alI under a high state of cultivation and contains five sets of improvements with large groves and orchards. The residence, barns and outbuildings upon the home farm are particularly good, the grounds are given careful attention and everything about the place has an air of thrift and prosperity which bespeaks capable supervision and regard for details. For many years Mr. Kuhl was an extensive feeder of stock but recently he has only prepared about one carload a year for the market. Although he engages in general farming much attention has always been given to the breeding and raising of thorough bred stock.
Mr. Kuhl was married in 1874 to Miss Anna Kuhl, who died June 1, 1908, and they became the parents of seven children: Henry Edmond, who is also a resident of Iowa township; Ida Augusta, at home; Emma Matilda, the wife of J. W. Anthony, a farmer living east of Mr. Kuhl; and Carl H., who is at home. Three members of the family, Ludwig, Ernest and Carl have passed away.
The religious affiliation of the family is with the Lutheran church, and politically Mr. Kuhl is identified with the democratic party. Although he has served in the capacity of road supervisor and school director, owing to his extensive private interests he has been unable to actively participate in public affairs. However, he is known to be a man who can always be relied upon to faithfully perform his public duties and gives his support to every movement advanced for the improvement or upbuilding of the community in which he resides. During the long period of his residence here Mr. Kuhl has seen the prairie of Iowa township give way to well tilled fields and good farms, which have: proven to be the realization of his early expectations, in the fulfilment of which he has been an active and prominent factor.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.