J. H. Jones
J. H. Jones, of Denison, was born in Clinton county, Iowa, June 30, 1862, his parents being John and Honora (Carlon) Jones, both natives of County Clare, Ireland.
The father was reared on a farm and after reaching manhood followed the stone-mason's trade, working for a short time in England. On coming to America in the latter part of the '40s he lived for a short time in Havana, New York, where he was engaged in building railroads and canals, and from there removed with his family to La Salle, Illinois, there securing a contract for the stone work of the Illinois Central Railroad bridge crossing the Illinois river at that place. His work on this bridge still exists. After living for a few years at La Salle the family removed to Rock Island, where he followed his trade of stone-mason and in the latter part of the '50s took up his residence in Clinton county, Iowa. He located on a farm a few miles south of Wheatland, where the subject of this sketch was born. The father died in 1891, when over eighty years of age, the mother passing away January 8, 1905, at the age of eighty-three years. They were both members of the Catholic church.
The paternal grandparents of our subject were Roady and Mary (Gavin) Jones, in whose family were eight children, as follows: John, James, William, Roady, Margaret, Johanna, Kate and Mary Ann, all of whom lived to a ripe old age.
The grandparents on the maternal side were Patrick and Julia (Dooley) Carlon . They had nine children. James died at an early age, while Margaret, Jane, Honora, Julia, Bridget, Kate, Ann and Patrick have lived to advanced ages.
Unto John and Honora (Carlon) Jones ten children were born, five of whom reached maturity, namely: Julia, J. P. and J. H., now living in Denison; William, who died April 5, 1872; and Mrs. Mary Ann (Jones) Connor, who died February 15, 1896. She had six children, those now living being Maud, May, Clara and Marie.
J. H. Jones grew to manhood under the parental roof and received his early education in the district schools of Clinton county. On the 4th of March, 1879, the family removed to Crawford county, settling on a farm southwest of Denison. After reaching manhood he, together with his brother J. P., purchased a farm, which they operated for several years, but he finally sold his interest to his brother and bought a place elsewhere, cultivating it until 1893, when he took up his abode in Denison. Since then he has operated chiefly in real estate. contracting, building and architectural work, assisting materially in the growth of the city. He is recognized as a public-spirited and progressive citizen, ever willing to give his support to any enterprise that he believes will advance the public welfare.
On the 20th of May, 1908, Mr. Jones was married to Miss Bertha McAndrews; a native of Crawford county, who received her early education in the public schools at Vail, but was graduated from the parochial school at that place in 1893 and later entered college at Denison in order to fit herself for a teacher. She successfully followed that profession in the schools of Iowa and South Dakota for a number of years.
She is a daughter of James and Lizzie (Molseed) McAndrews. Her father was born in Indiana but removed to Clinton county, Iowa, in his boyhood, remaining there a few years, after which the family came to Crawford county in September, 1865. They settled on a farm in West Side township, when their nearest neighbor on the east was eighty miles away. They were, therefore, pioneers of this county.
Mrs. McAndrews was born in Clinton county and with her parents came to Crawford county in June, 1873. She was married to James McAndrews, December 25, 1876, and to them six daughters were born, namely: Bertha, Emily, Lillie, Clara, Jennie and Pearl.
Mr. Jones has been successful in his business affairs and by his genial manner and kindly disposition has made many friends in Denison and Crawford county. He and his wife are sincere believers in the Christian religion and are members of the Catholic church. He is identified with the Knights of Columbus and the Woodmen of the World. Politically ever since arriving at manhood he has given his adherence to the democratic party but is very liberal in his views and although he has never sought public office he served as a member of the city council of Denison from 1904 to 1908.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.