James Hannah, Jr.
At twenty-six years of age arrived in Crawford county and worked as a farm hand. Today he is the happy owner of a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, which is provided with the best facilities known and yields a handsome annual revenue.
He comes of sturdy Scotch parentage and was born in Scotland, June 18, 1850, a son of James and Margaret (Glenn) Hannah. The family came to America in 1852 and after stopping for a while in Connecticut traveled westward to Kane county, Illinois, where the parents continued during the remainder of their days. There were nine children in their family, of whom eight are now living.
James Hannah, Jr., has no recollection of his trip across the ocean as he was only two years old when he came with his parents to the new world. He received his early education in the district schools and remained at home, assisting in work about the farm, until he reached the age of twenty-four. He then began working for neighboring farmers and in 1876, believing that Crawford county presented superior advantages, he came to this county and at the end of two years had accumulated sufficient capital to purchase the farm upon which he has since lived. It is located on section 4, West Side township, and consists of one hundred and sixty acres. He has greatly improved his place by planting groves and also an orchard, making it one of the attractive features of the landscape. He engages in general farming but specializes in feeding hogs for the market and meets with liberal returns for his industry.
Mr. Hannah's interest is centered in his farm, although he finds time to attend to his duties as a citizen and casts his ballot for the candidates and principles of the republican party. He is in favor of an honest business administration of public affairs and yields to no other man in love for the county and state of his adoption. The fortunate possessor of a pleasing address and genial manner, he readily makes friends and on account of his acknowledged integrity he is a favorite in his section of the county.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.