One of the extensive landowners of Crawford county is Jacob Weiss, who is successfully engaged in general farming and stock-raising on his homestead of two hundred and twenty acres in Denison township.
Born in Germany on the 25th of March, 1860, he is a son of George and Madelaine (Feuerbach) Weiss. The mother passed away in the fatherland, but the father emigrated to the United States in 1880, first locating in Chicago, where he resided for fifteen months. Removing to Denison at the end of that period, he continued to reside here until he passed away in 1894 at the age of seventy-six.
The early years of Jacob Weiss were spent in his native land, attending the common schools, where he acquired his education. He was only a youth when he took up his residence in the United States, but being both energetic and thrifty he and his brother accumulated the necessary capital to buy one hundred and sixty acres of land in Washington township, in the cultivation of which they engaged until our subject's marriage. Subsequently they divided the farm, each taking eighty acres, and by rigid economy and careful management, Mr. Weiss added one hundred and twenty acres to his tract, which he continued to operate for eighteen years.
Disposing of that place in 1901, he removed to Denison township, where he purchased one hundred and forty acres, later adding another eighty and thus making the aggregate two hundred and twenty. Here he is engaged in general farming and stock-feeding, devoting particular attention to the latter, now having seven hundred sheep, one hundred and fifty head of cattle and about two hundred hogs, which he is preparing for the market. A most capable and energetic man, Mr. Weiss has met with marked success in his ventures, which is doubtless due to his unusual foresight and well directed effort, which have resulted in his acquiring three hundred acres of land on sections 25 and 16, Willow township, in addition to his excellent homestead. His home farm, which is on section 11, Denison township, is well improved and under a high state of cultivation, being considered one of the valuable properties in the locality.
On the 14th of November, 1883, Mr. Weiss plans for a home had their culmination in his marriage to Miss Rosa Bachman. Fifteen children have been born of this union: George; Albert; John; Emily; Matilda; Edward, deceased; Annie; Martha; August, deceased; Ruth; Clara; Marie; Theodore; Walter; and Elizabeth.
The religious views of the family accord with those of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, with which they affiliate. Ever since acquiring the right of franchise Mr. Weiss has given his political support to the men and measures of the republican party, considering that the principles of that organization are best adapted to subserve the interests of the majority. He has been the choice of his party for a number of the township offices, the duties of which he discharged most creditably. Mr. Weiss has never regretted the transference of his allegiance to the United States and feels that the conditions existing in this country are such that any young man possessing energy and perseverance can win a place for himself.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.