Ever since he entered upon the active duties of life George Maynard has devoted his attention to farming and his place of one hundred and sixty acres in Jackson township gives convincing evidence in its well kept appearance of his ability as an agriculturist and stock-raiser.
He was born on the home farm in this county, October 31, 1881, a son of Henry W. and Julia (Lane) Maynard, record of whom appears elsewhere in this work.
George Maynard received his early education in the district schools and grew to manhood under the favoring conditions of a happy home. Under his father he was thoroughly instructed in all the details pertaining to agriculture and stock-raising. He continued at home until twenty-one years of age and then rented eighty acres of his father, to which additions have been made until he now has one hundred and sixty acres which he has provided with many improvements. He is thorough in every department of his work and having possessed unusual advantages of training in early life, he has made few mistakes and his labors are rewarded by a handsome annual income.
On the 3d of February, 1909, Mr. Maynard was united in marriage to Miss Angie Irene Swartz, a daughter of George and Anna (Nash) Swartz. The mother of Mrs. Maynard passed away September 16, 1887. There were three children in the family: Catharine E., who is now the wife of P. C. Lawrence, of Houston, Texas; Angie Irene, now Mrs. George Maynard; and Anna, who is deceased.
Politically Mr. Maynard gives his support to the republican party as the organization whose principles in his opinion are essential to the permanent welfare of the country. He is socially well known and is identified with the Masonic order, whose teachings of brotherhood find in his heart a ready response. In religious belief he affiliates with the Methodist church. Active and enterprising, he is highly esteemed by all who know him and especially by his neighbors who are best acquainted with his many admirable traits of character.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.