George L. Novotne
George L. Novotne, who owns a valuable farm of eighty acres on section 9, West Side township, is a native son of Iowa and is a descendant of worthy Bohemian ancestry.
He was born in Sac county, July 19, 1879, his parents being Jacob and Petronnell (Vosta) Novotne, both of whom were born in Bohemia They came to America and first lived in Johnson county, Iowa, later residing in Carroll and Sac counties but finally taking up their home in Crawford county, where Mr. Novotne became closely identified with agricultural interests. He died in 1896, his wife passing away six years later. They were the parents of ten children, all of whom are now living.
George L. Novotne came to Crawford county with his parents and acquired his early education in the public schools. He assisted his father upon the home farm until twenty-one years of age, when he began farming upon his own account on rented land. Later, having accumulated the necessary capital, he purchased eighty acres on section 9, West Side township, upon which he has ever since resided. He has made many improvements upon his place and has a commodious residence which is well furnished and supplied with conveniences of a pleasant home. The general appearance of the farm indicates good judgement on the part of its owner and it also has an air of prosperity which is verv creditable to Mr. Novotne.
On the 22d of May, 1902, he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Ahrenkiel, who was born at Vail, November 7, 1882, a daughter of Hans and Marie (Hanson) Ahrenkiel. Her parents were natives of Denmark and came to this country, settling in Iowa. The father died in 1904, but the mother is still living and makes her home at Vail. There were nine children in their family. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Novotne has been blessed by the birth of four children, namely: George A., who was born August 6, 1904; Mary A., born August 23, 1906; Leonard F., who was born February II, 1909, and died February 23, 1909; and Leroy A., born October 31, 1910.
Mr. Novotne is a member of Camp No. 3057, M. W. A, of Vail. Ever since he arrived at manhood he has given his adherence to the democratic party, and the confidence and esteem in which he is held by his friends and neighbors was shown by his election as township trustee, a position which he now fills. He and his estimable wife are devout members of the Catholic church. Through his habits of industry and his sound business management he has acquired a competency which gives promise of steady increase as the years pass. As has been demonstrated by his life, he never shirks any responsibility and is ever willing to assume his share of the work which falls upon the shoulders of progressive men in any community.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.