Edwin W. Anderson
Among the worthy citizens of Stockholm township contributed by Sweden must be numbered the late Edwin W. Anderson, a son of Andrew and Christina Anderson, both of whom spent their entire lives in the land of their nativity.
His birth occurred on the arst of October, 1840. He acquired his education in the common schools of his native land, of which he remained a citizen until he reached the age of twenty-nine years. Being convinced that the United States must afford better opportunities for industrious young men than Sweden, he took passage for America, and on his arrival in this country he located upon a homestead in South Dakota, in the cultivation of which he engaged until he had proved up his claim. He then removed to Sioux City, where he followed the carpenter's trade for nine years.
Coming to Crawford county in 1887, he settled upon a forty acre tract of land on section 19, Stockholm township, which belonged to Mrs. Anderson. After operating this for a time they added to their holdings another tract of similar size, which they acquired by purchase from Mrs. Anderson's brother, thus making their homestead eighty acres, and Mr. Anderson later bought eighty acres on section 29, south of the homestead. He continued to reside on the original eighty acres, engaged in general farming and stock-raising, until he passed away on the rath of March, 1908.
Mr. Anderson was united in marriage on the 25th of May, 1876, to Miss Christina Weberg, a daughter of Peter and Bertha (Johnson) Weberg.
Four children were born to them: Anna, who is at home; Naomi, the wife of W. R. Torbert, of Denver, Colorado; Leroy; and Lillian, deceased.
Mr. and Mrs. Anderson affiliated with the Baptist church. Although he never actively participated in public affairs of a governmental nature, he gave his political support first to the republican party, but later to the democratic party, believing that its policy was best adapted to serve the interests of the working man.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.