Enoch T. Cochran
Forty-two years ago Enoch T. Cochran came to Denison and he has been a witness of its progress, assisting materially in the work which has made this city one of the most attractive places of its size in the state.
He was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, June 29, 1855, a son of John M. and Lucinda (Gillaspey) Cochran, both of whom were natives of the Keystone state. The father was a farmer and came west with his family in 1869, settling in Goodrich township, Crawford county, Iowa, upon a farm of ninety acres, which he and his sons carefully cultivated. In 1878 he removed to Denison, where he continued to reside until his death at the age of seventy-five years. His wife departed this life in 1878, having arrived at the age of sixty-seven years. She and her husband were consistent members of the United Presbyterian church.
Robert Cochran, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Mercer county, Pennsylvania, and became one of the respected farmers of his section. He was married to Mary Moore, who died at the age of eighty years, and they were the parents of three children: John M., William and Lavina, who became the wife of Peter France. Robert Gillaspey, the maternal grandfather, was also a farmer of Pennsylvania. He removed from Williamsport, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, to Crawford county in the same state in 1818, and died there when about ninety-two years of age. There were seven children in his family, namely: Lucinda, Mary, Margaret, Hannah, Elizabeth, Jane and Joseph.
The family of John M. and Lucinda Cochran consisted of seven children, namely: Robert G., now in Los Angeles, California; William, of Denison, Iowa; Murray J., of Tonopah, Nevada; Wesley, deceased; Charles J., of Phoenix, Arizona; Enoch T., the subject of this review; and a daughter who died in infancy.
Enoch T. Cochran lived in Crawford and Venango counties, Pennsylvania, until fourteen years of age and received his early education in the common schools, coming to Denison with his parents in 1869. After arriving at his new home he took advantage of the opportunities offered by the excellent public school system and when the time arrived for him to begin his business career he started as a clerk in one of the stores of this city. Subsequently, he was appointed deputy postmaster, serving for three and one-half years under Reuben Heffelfing, and under J. Fred Meyers. He later went to Harlan, Iowa, and there filled the position of deputy postmaster for six years. Returning to Denison in 1885, he was made deputy county treasurer and continued in that office until 1900. Previously he had filled the office of township clerk and was for six years city clerk of Denison. In the meantime he had engaged in the real-estate business and after retiring from the office of the county treasurer was connected with the implement business but since 1905 has devoted his attention to real estate and insurance, in which he has shown a capability productive of highly gratifying returns.
On the 28th of December, 1881, Mr. Cochran was united in marriage to Miss Clara L. Marshall, a native of New York, who came to Crawford county with her parents, William and Julia (Chapin) Marshall, in the fall of 1869, settling in Morgan township and later removing to Denison township. Both of her parents are now deceased. Six children were born to them: William H., Ella, Fred, Frank, Lewis and Clara L. One son, Oyde M., was born to Mr. and Mrs. Cochran. He married Theresa Balsky, and is now in the employ of the Middle West Grain Company at Omaha.
He is the father of two children: Robert Enoch and Howard Marshall. Mrs. Cochran having died in 1888, Mr. Cochran was again married, the lady of his choice being Miss Ida M. Deuel, a native of New York state, and a daughter of Benjamin and Sylvia Deuel, who were the parents of two children, Alice and Ida M. Her father was twice married, one daughter, Alethia, being born to the first union.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Cochran two children have been born: Sylvia Alice and Robert Lyman, the former of whom is now successfully engaged in teaching school, and the latter is a student in the senior class of the Denison high school and a highly promising young man.
In public affairs Mr. Cochran showed an ability that gained the general approval of the people, and in business he has met with a goodly measure of success and has obtained a competence for himself and family. He and his estimable wife are members of the Presbyterian church and active workers in its behalf. He is identified with Sylvan Lodge, No. 507, A. F. & A. M., the Modern Woodmen of America and the Improved Order of Red Men, and is a stanch believer in the principles of those beneficent orders.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.