Edward E. Clauson
Prominent among the business men of Kiron and vicinity is Edward E. Clauson, a member of the firm of Clauson Brothers, for the last eight or nine years a flourishing concern of Crawford county.
He was born in this county, February 8, 1871, a son of C. F. and Katherine (Johnson) Clauson, both natives of Sweden. They came to America in 1865 and located on a farm in Stockholm township, which became the family homestead. The mother passed away about 1890, but the father is now living at his old home and has arrived at the age of seventy years. Fourteen children were born to them, five of whom still survive, namely: Alfred J., William C., Edward E., Otto E. and Eda C., now Mrs. Edward Anderson. All reside in Crawford county.
Edward E. Clauson was reared under the protecting influence of a good home and received his early education in the district schools. He assisted his father in farm work until twenty years of age and then, being attracted to mercantile pursuits, entered the employ of N. L. Hunts, the owner of a general store at Deloit, where he continued for four years, also filling the position of assistant postmaster. He next came to Old Kiron and clerked in a store for two years, also filling the position of postmaster in this town about ten years.
In 1902 he moved to new Kiron and has since been engaged in the furniture and undertaking business under the title of Clauson Brothers and has served for six years as postmaster. He is a man who possesses a variety of talents and as an auctioneer he has gained an enviable reputation in this section. He is thoroughly wide-awake and energetic, and as he has the confidence of the community his efforts are yielding handsome returns.
In February, 1901, Mr. Clauson was united in marriage to Miss Anna Lundberg, who was born in Sac county, Iowa, a daughter of Axtel and Matilda Lundberg, both of whom are natives of Sweden. They came to America in the '60s and located in Sac county, where they now reside. There were nine children in their family, all of whom are still living.
Four children came to bless the union of Mr. and Mrs. Clauson, namely: Raymond B., Bernice O., Newell F. and Ralph C.
Mr. and Mrs. Clauson are both earnest members of the Free Mission church, in which he takes an active interest and served for eleven years as superintendent of the Sunday school, being now treasurer of the same organization. Politically he gives his support to the republican party, and although he has not urged claims for office, he was the first treasurer of Kiron. The excellent business ability of Mr. Clauson is exemplified in the prosperity of the firm with which he is connected, and his reliability is beyond question. His life has been characterized by principles of industry and justice which are recognized the world over as of enduring worth.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.