Clark W. White
Clark W. White, now living on the old family homestead in West Side township, is recognized as one of the leading farmers of Crawford county, the success he has achieved in his calling being accepted as evidence of his special ability in agriculture and stock-raising.
He is a native of McHenry county, Illinois, born May 16, 1858, and is a son of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Whimble) White. The parents were born in England and came to America in 1856. After living for a number of years in Illinois they arrived in Crawford county in 1872, where the father established himself as a farmer. He was called from earthly scenes in November, 1908, the mother having died five years previously. There were seven children in their family, all of whom are deceased except the subject of this review.
Clark W. White received his preliminary education in the public schools of Illinois and came with his parents to Crawford county when fourteen years of age. He continued with his father upon the home farm until the age of twentyseven and then took charge of the place upon which he still lives. He now owns two hundred and forty acres of land on section 20, West Side township, and as he applies modern methods in his work and keeps thoroughly informed on all matters pertaining to agriculture and stockraising he received generous returns for his labors.
On the 23d of February, 1887, Mr. White was united in marriage to Miss Ada Tefft, who was born at Richmond, Illinois, December 25, 1867, a daughter of C. H. and Mary (Churchill) Tefft. The father was born in Rhode Island and the mother in New York state. They removed to Illinois, where they continued during the remainder of their lives. There were four children in their family, two of whom, survive: Charles, and Ada, now Mrs. Clark W. White. Four children came to bless the union of Mr. and Mrs. White, Beulah B., Howard, Leslie and Evelyn L. Leslie was born May 7, 1898, and died September 7 following.
Mr. White is a genial, courteous and obliging gentleman and gains the confidence of all with whom he comes in contact. He and his wife affiliate with the Presbyterian church. Politically he gives his allegiance to the republican party and he has served as township trustee and for twenty years as a member of the school board, in the discharge of his official duties displaying a fidelity and zeal meriting the hearty approval of the people. He is a valued member of Lodge No. 422, A. F. & A. M.; Olive Branch Lodge, No. 205, O. E. S.; and Yeomen Lodge No. 659. Mrs. White and her daughter Beulah and son Howard are also members of the Eastern Star lodge and the Yeomen, the former having served most acceptably as matron of Olive Branch Lodge.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.