S. M. THEW, proprietor of Thew's Cheese Factory, Buck Grove, Washington township, Crawford county, Iowa, manufacturer of full-cream cheese, turned out in the season of 1892, 2500 pounds of that commodity, all of which found a local market.
Although only established in 1889 it is one of the leading industries of this part of the county, being a valuable and profitable business. The cheese has grown in favor on its own merits, and is ranked as high as any manufactured in the State, the demand constantly increasing, as its good qualities become known. Mr. Thew has had many years experience in cheese making, and gives his personal attention to the work.
Two teams are engaged in gathering the milk from the neighboring farm houses. J. D. Thew, a brother of the proprietor, a veteran and skilled worker, is employed as maker of the product, he ranking as one of the most expert manufacturers in western Iowa.
Our subject was born in Clinton county, New York, February 1, 1851; the son of Erastus Thew, a native of New York, and a well-known and highly respected citizen of this township, and of Melissa (Parrott) Thew, also a native of New York. In 1865 the family removed to McHenry county, Illinois, where they remained several years.
The mother died, leaving a family of four children, namely: J.D., S. M., our subject; Capitola, wife of O. M. Bicknell, of Buck Grove; and Percival, who died at the age of fifteen years. Out subject received his schooling in Clinton county, New York, and in McHenry county, Illinois.
He came to Iowa in 1879, settled in Crawford county, and taught school twenty-two terms. In 1883 he was engaged in the stock business in Odebolt, Sac county, Iowa.
Mr. Thew owns a good farm near Buck Grove, consisting of 120 acres, well-improved and in first-class shape. The residence is a one and one-half story house, 20x30 feet, with an L, 18x20, one story high, surrounded by a lawn and yard with shade trees and an orchard and --------- ----------. The cheese factory stands outside the yard.
Mr. Thew was married at Des Moines, Iowa, in 1876, to Sarah Mullis, a lady of education and refinement, and a teacher before her marriage; daughter of Joseph Mullis, of Denison township, and of Mary (Prouse) Mullis, both natives of England.
Mrs. Thew was born and reared in McHenry county, Illinois, and has borne her husband one child, a son, Ivian S., born in 1879, and died July 8, 1889.
Our subject is a People's party man, formerly a Democrat; is Township Clerk and a very popular official. His affiliations are with the Farmers' Alliance. Mr. and Mrs. Thew are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, he being a Steward and a very active and influential official of that body. Mr. Thew is a man of liberal ideas, sincere in his convictions, and an advocate of education, religion and the cause of the people.
Source: Biographical history of Crawford, Ida and Sac Counties, Iowa Lewis Pub. Co., Chicago, 1893