Andrew Larson has been actively and successfully identified with the agricultural interests of Crawford county for many years past and is now the owner of a well improved farm in Otter Creek township.
He is a native of Sweden, born August 19, 1849, and is a son of John and Mary (Anderson) Larson, both of whom were born in Sweden. They came to America in 1867 and established their home in Pennsylvania, where the mother died. In 1877 the father removed to Crawford county, Iowa, and engaged in farming. He was killed by a tornado about 1882. There were nine children in his family, seven of whom are still living.
Andrew Larson came to America with his parents when he was eighteen years of age and continued at home until after reaching manhood. He began his business career by working in the coal mines in Pennsylvania but subsequently became connected with farming in Crawford county, Iowa, and carried on his work with such energy and good judgment that he was enabled to purchase two hundred and twenty acres of land on sections 25 and 26, Otter Creek township. He has made many improvements upon his farm, building barns, corn-cribs and fences, and setting out trees, etc., thus greatly enhancing its value. He engages in general farming but makes a specialty of raising and feeding stock for the market and has met with gratifying success.
In 1888 Mr. Larson was united in marriage to Miss Amanda Falk, a native of Chicago and a daughter of Erick Falk, who emigrated to America with his wife from Sweden and is now deceased. The mother is still living and makes her home in Minnesota. Five children came to bless the union of Mr. and Mrs, Larson, namely: Hollis L., who was born October 10, 1889; Ive E., born June 22, 1892; Ervin E., born August 7, 1894; Ruby I., born January 9, 1897; and Orange H., born February 19, 1899. All are living at home.
Mr. Larson was called upon to mourn the death of his beloved wife, who passed away August 22, 1906, and whose remains were interred in Kiron cemetery. She was a faithful member of the Methodist church and was a woman of many excellent qualities which endeared her to all with whom she was associated.
Mr. Larson is a man of genial disposition and is recognized as one of the reliable citizens of Crawford county, whose word is entirely to be depended upon and who aims to perform his whole duty in everything he undertakes. He is a sincere friend of education and a lover of his adopted country. He has set an example of unflagging industry well worthy of imitation by those who come after him, as it leads to almost certain victory. He is not identified with any religious denomination but is a firm adherent of the republican party whose principles appeal to him as being highly essential to the perpetuity of a free government.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.