A. J. Bond
A. J. Bond, commonly known as "Juddy" Bond, is successfully engaged in business as the proprietor of an undertaking establishment at Denison and also handles pianos and organs.
His birth occurred in Springfield, Massachusetts, on the 15th of October, 1846, his parents being Eli Daniel and Selah (Seagrave) Bond, who were likewise natives of that state. His paternal grandfather, who was also born in Massachusetts, came of English origin. He participated in the war of 1812. Unto him and his wife were born four children, namely: Elias, Daniel, Benjamin and Edwin. The maternal grandfather of our subject was likewise a native of Massachusetts and came of English ancestry.
Eli Daniel Bond, the father of A. J. Bond, was a stone and brick mason and also worked at plastering. He removed to Michigan about 1851, settling in Petersburgh, Monroe county, where his demise occurred in 1861, when he had attained the age of fifty-three years. His wife was called to her final rest in March, 1863, at the age of forty-eight years. Both were Baptists in religious faith. They were the parents of four sons and a daughter, as follows: Albert F.; Selina J., the wife of E. S. Plimpton, now deceased; A. J., of this review; Edwin E., who died when about thirteen years of age; and George W. S., who is a resident of Eureka, California.
A. J. Bond, whose name introduces this review, accompanied his parents on their removal to Michigan and resided there until March, 1863, arriving in Denison, Iowa, April 4, 1863, when sixteen years of age. He entered the employ of H. C. Laub and when a call was made for eight volunteers from Crawford county enlisted in Company I, Thirty-second Iowa Volunteer Infantry, being mustered in at Fort Dodge, Iowa. With that command he served until the close of hostilities between the north and the south, returning home in May, 1866. He participated in the battle of Fort De Rusa and was under fire during the greater part of the time consumed in going up the Red River. He next went to Lake Charcott in Arkansas and thence followed General Price on his raid through Missouri.
Being then ordered to Nashville, he took part in the two days' fight there, next went across to Eastport and thence to New Orleans. On leaving that city he went to Mobile and participated in the engagements at Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely. He served as a private during the entire period of his enlistment and participated in many skirmishes, proving at all times a brave and loyal soldier.
When the war had ended he returned home and worked as a plasterer in association with his brother until 1871. He then secured a position as clerk with Samuel Sprecher and a year later, owing to Mr. Sprecher's death, took charge of the store as manager. He' purchased the building and subsequently admitted M. H. Hendricks to a partnership, conducting a grocery establishment under the style of Bond & Hendricks for about two years.
On the expiration of that period he sold out to Mr. Hendricks and entered the employ of E. S. Plimpton as a clerk, holding that position for eleven years. While thus engaged he also devoted some attention to undertaking and while in Mr. Plimpton's service embarked in the furniture and undertaking business on his own account, being associated with his brother George under the firm style of Bond Brothers.
After disposing of his interest to his brother' he purchased the jewelry and music store of S. H. Clawson, conducting it for ten or eleven years. At the end of that time he sold his stock to E. C. Chamberlin with the exception of the pianos and organs, which instruments he still handles. On the retirement of his brother George he again entered the undertaking business and has since conducted an enterprise of that character with excellent success.
On the 18th of April, 1872, Mr. Bond was united in marriage to Miss Lucy G. Harris, who was born in Monroe county, Michigan, on the 16th of November, 1849, and who was an old schoolmate of his. Her parents, Henry and Betsy B. (Bedient) Harris, were both natives of New York. They took up their abode among the pioneer settlers of Monroe county, Michigan, Mr. Harris entering land from the government. His demise there occurred in 1871 when he was more than eighty years of age. His widow came to Denison, Iowa, and here passed away at the age of seventy-six. One of her brothers was more than one hundred years old at the time of his demise.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Bond were born two children, namely: Elva Dell, who is a kindergarten teacher in the public schools of Denison; and Edward H., who died on the 27th of May, 1906, when thirty-two years of age. Miss Elva Dell Bond is a Daughter of the American Revolution, her ancestors having participated in the war for independence.
Mr. Bond is a republican in politics, being a stanch supporter of the party which was the defense of the Union during the dark days of the Civil war. He served as township clerk for a period of twenty years and also acted as assessor for many years or until he resigned. He is a member of John K Logan Post, No. 58, G. A. R., and also belongs to Dowdall Lodge, No. 90, Knights of Pythias. In religious faith both he and his wife are Methodists. The period of his residence in Denison covers almost a half century and he enjoys an extensive and favorable acquaintance here.
Source: History of Crawford County, Iowa. Vol. II. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1911.