1882 Westside Biographies
Biographies Appearing in the Publication
- Becker, W. N., Jr.
- Bond, L. L., M. D.
- Greves, Henry
- Haldane, C.
- Haywood, E. C.
- Johnson, Albert
- Langbehn, C. H.
- Mereness, E. D.
- Miller, C. E.
- Peters, J. H. C.
- Rohwer, John
- Spottswood, W. L.
- Taylor, R. B.
- Walz Bros.
W. N. Becker, Jr., editor of the West Side Dispatch, established the paper in April, 1881. It is republican in politics, and alreadv has a large circulation.
L. L. Bond, M. D., was born in Va.; moved to Wis. in 1848 with his parents. He began the study of medicine in 1865, and graduated from the Rush Medical College in the class of '70. He first began the practice of his profession in Clinton county, Ia., and in 1875 came to West Side.
Henry Greves, Proprietor of livery stable and sample room, was born in Germany in 1849; came to America in 1869, and settled in Clinton county, Ia. He engaged in his present business at West Side in 1878.
C. Haldane, attorney at law, is a native of England; came to America in 1873 and located in Crawford county, Ia., where he engaged extensively in farming. In 1877 he moved to Carroll, and began the practice of the law. Two years later, he opened an office at West Side.
E. C. Haywood, dealer in grain and stock, also agent for the Iowa Land Company, was born in England in 1841; came to America in 1852 and settled in Clinton county; Ia., where he engaged in farming, also dealing in stock and machinery. He came to West Side in 1875, and in 1881 engaged in business as above.
Albert Johnson, wagon-maker, is a native of Sweden; came to America in 1872 and engaged in wagon manufacturing, at Chicago. Came to Iowa in 1875 and engaged in present business; also has a branch establishment at Manning.
C. H. Langbehn, proprietor of Farmers' House and billiard hall, is a native of Germany; came to America in 1864 and settled in Clinton county, Ia. In 1880 he came to West Side, and engaged in business as above.
E. D. Mereness, foreman in I. B. Nelson's flouring mill, is a native of N. Y.; moved to Mich. in 1864; afterwards went to Chicago, where he was employed in the Oriental flouring mills. In 1870 he went to the Pacific coast and remained six years, then located at West Side, and has since been employed as above.
C. E. Miller, banker, was born in Boone county, Ia., in 1855; moved with parents to Ill. in 1858 and returned to Ia. in 1874. He engaged in the drug business and studied medicine, which he practiced at Arcadia for three years. In 1878 he came to West Side and engaged in the drug business, until 1880, at which time he became proprietor of the Exchange Bank.
J. H. C. Peters, of the firm of Peters & Suhr, lumber dealers, was born in Holstein, Ger., in 1846; came to America in 1870 and settled in Clinton county, Ia, He was engaged for several years as carpenter and builder in Chicago and various places in Neb. and Ia. In March, 1881, he located at West Side and engaged in business as above.
John Rohwer, dealer in general merchandise, is a native of Germany; came to America in 1871 and settled in Clinton county, Ia.; came to West Side in 1875, and in 1880 engaged in business as above.
W. L. Spottswood, postmaster, was born in Pa.; moved to Clinton county, Ia., in 1866 and engaged in the harness business. He moved to Harrison county; thence, in 1875, to West Side, and engaged in harness making. Was appointed postmaster in 1877.
R. B. Taylor, of the firm of Taylor & Jobnson, dealers in general hardware, is a native of Ill.; moved to Ames, Ia., in 1869, and engaged in the mercantile business. He came to West Side in 1874, engaged in the drug business, and is now a member of the above named firm.
Walz Bros., proprietors of the meat market, are natives of Germany. A. W. Walz came to America in 1869, and his brother came the next year. They located in O.; removed to Ill.; thence to Arcadia, Ia., and engaged in farming and stock raising; came to West Side in 1881, and engaged as above.
Source: History of Western Iowa. Western Publishing Company, 1882, Sioux City.