Elk Township Country
Additional information or photos of any of the Elk twp. schools is welcome. If you have something to share please email the Clayton co. IAGenWeb coordinator. Unless otherwise credited, the information on this page was compiled by S. Ferrall.
Elk No. 1 - aka Mt. Harmony school
The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located near the center of Section 11, a short distance south of the Mt. Harmony cemetery.
Report of the school taught in Sub. district No. 1, Elk township, for the month ending June 26th, 1883. Maggie Lynch, teacher.
Roll of Honor:
~Elkader Register, Fri., 29 June 1883 ~contributed by Reid R. Johnson
Elk No. 2
The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows school #2 on the boundry of Sections 3 and 4.
Elk No. 3
The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows school #3 on the southern border of Section 5.
Report of school taught in district No. 3, Elk township, for the month ending June 15th, 1883. Martha Wooldridge, teacher.
There are 12 pupils perfect in attendance, as follows:
~Elkader Register, Fri., 29 June 1883. ~contributed by Reid R. Johnson
Elk No. 4
The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in the center of Section 26 on Pine creek
Elk No. 5
The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school just east of Wood Center either in Section 32 or 33.
Elk No. 6
The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located in the NW corner of Section 22
Elk No. 7
The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located near the center of Section 1
Elk No. 8
The 1886 Warner-Foote plat shows this school located towards the east side of Section 19
Elk No. 9 - aka Advent school
This school was not shown on the 1886 Warner-Foote plat. School was held in the Adventist church building, Section 24. Later a school house was built along the Garber Rd. in Section 24.
This photo of the Advent school house was in the Guttenberg Press, August 18, 2004 as part of an article about one-room school houses, written by Charlene Barnhart, who also submitted the photo.
A photo of Advent school children was published in the Clayton County Register, Feb. 14, 1952. The photo did not reproduce well on the microfilm, so not shown here. The photo caption reads:
It was a mild day last fall when Mrs. Delos Sadewasser and her pupils posed for the photographer outside Advent school in Elk District No. 9. Mrs. Sadewasser has taught this school for the past three years, and previous to that taught one year at Mallory District No. 9. Her pupils are:
Jon Combs and Haren Hansel, eighth grade
Kay Hageman, seventh grade
Neil Hansel, fifth grade
Ronald Combs, Judy Hageman and Sandra Hansel, fourth grade
Lee Kulper, second grade
Patsy Hansel, first grade.
Return School Index