Mederville was first known as St. Johan and is located on the south bank of the Volga River. It was laid out in October 1868 for Louis Reuther and Henry Meder.
A saw mill and home were built in 1854 by James Beatty. The mill was later town down and a new one was built by Meder and Reuther in 1866. Meder was a farmer and miller born in Germany. A stone flouring mill was built in 1867. Reuther opened the first store in 1869.
Mederville had a blacksmith shop run by Joseph Unternahrer, two hotels which opened in 1879, and a school, the first of which was started in 1857. A postoffice was established in 1870 with Henry Meder as postmaster.
~source: Clayton County Register, undated clipping
~contributed by Helen Jennings
~note: the article does not specifically state which of the mills is pictured - likely it is of the stone flouring mill
Return to Clayton co. Directory & Gazetteer index