History of the Marquette Methodist church
The Methodist church at Marquette dates back to 1874 when it was organized following a series of revival services.
Services and Sunday School were held for about twelve years before the church was built. O.C. Buck organized the Sunday School and was the first superintendent. Meetings were held in the school.
In 1886 the church was built and was dedicated on August 29, 1886. Officers of the church then were George B. Freeman, James Hervison, W.G. Wheeler, Ed. Grows, John Phalen and James Cumming.
The bell was added later and rang for the first time on June 17, 1887. The ground on which the church stands was leased from the C.M. St. P. railway Company at first, but in 1918, was purchased by the church.
The Ladies' Aid Society of which Mrs. John Barr was the first president, was also organized before the church was built, and had as its objective the church building. An early list of its members include Mrs. Ed. Graw, Mrs. Chas. Stevens, Mrs. James Cummings, Mrs. L. Vandyke, Mrs. James Hervison, Mrs. Harry Butler, Mrs. Geo. B. Freeman, Mrs. W.G. Wheeler, Mrs. John Phalen, Mrs. Geo. W. Krohn, Mrs. E. Foster, Mrs. Dell Ricks, Mrs. Al Sawvell, Mrs. Chas. Anderson, Mrs. H.A. Schurtzman, Mrs. Ed. Scott, Anna Nielson and Mrs. W.R. Brown.
~source: North Iowa Times, November 29, 1956
~contributed by S. Ferrall
to Church Index
Return to Clayton County Index