F. H. Meder was born in Meclenburg-Schwerin, Germany, Oct. 22, 1821, and immigrated to America in July, 1853, being a member of the colony of Communia, now the city of Elkader, Ia. He purchased eighty acres of land in Cox Creek Towhship, upon which he resided thirteen years, and still owns; but in 1866 he bought 220 acres in Clayton Township, which he has cultivated since 1867. He has a United States patent for the original eighty acres, signed by Franklin Pierce. He was married Sept. 15, 1853, to Albertina Gade, who was born in Germany, and died in April 1877, in this country, having been the mother of one child-Edwin, who was born March 9, 1856, and was married Feb. 1, 1882, to Mary Grouney, a native of Pennsylvania, born Feb. 1, 1858. F H. Meader held the office of Towhship Trustee of Cox Creek Towhship, and since his residence here has been elected to the office of School Treasurer of Eagle District. He is a member of the Lutheran church, and in politics votes with the Democratic party.
source: History of Clayton County, Iowa, 1882, p. 724
Return to Biographies Index