John W. Lowe is a native of the State of Ohio, born near Stubenville, April 29, 1837. He came to Clayton County, Ia., with his father in 1847, and settled on section 4, Sperry Township. When he was fourteen years of age he left home and went to Galena, Ill., and obtained work on the Illinois Central Railroad. From therehe went to Minnesota, thence to Nebraska City, Kansas City, Mo., Salt Lake City, Pike's Peak, Col. and in the fall of 1860 he enlisted in the First Iowa Cavalry. Owing to his being afflicted with white swelling, which unfitted him for riding, he was not mustered into the service on the cavalry corps. He again enlisted, in the Twenty-first Iowa Infantry, and served three years, participating in the skirmish at Bear's Creek, Mo., where he was taken prisoner by Marmaduke. He was exchanged at St. Louis, Mo., Jan. 1, 1863; afterward went to Rolla, thence to West Plains, Iron Mountain, Mo., Cairo, New Orleans, where he joined his regiment; thence to Mettagorda, Fortress Monroe, thence through the tamarack swamps, where they had to build twenty-four miles of corduroy road, in order to get through to the Spanish fort. They besieged the rebels four weeks, then took possession of the fort, and soon after went to Mobile, Ala., thence to Magnolia Hill. Mr. Lowe was mustered out shortly afterward, and returned to Iowa. He engaged in the butcher business in Elkader one year, then returned to Sperry Township. He was married here in November, 1867, to Ellen E. Parsons, who was born in New York. They have two children - Willie, born in 1872; Vesta, in 1878, and an adopted child, Effie, born in 1865. Mr. Lowe has been extensively engaged in bulding railroads in Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Missouri, and is now engaged in farming and stock-raising. He has held the office of Trustee six years; also that of Road Supervisor and School Director.
source: History of Clayton County, Iowa, 1882, p. 1099-1100
Return to Biographies Index