Squire William N. Tucker, Justice of the Peace of Monona, Clayton county, did most valiant service in the late Civil War, was ever found faithful in the discharge of whatever duties were assigned him, and suffered many hardships and injuries during his terms of enlistment. He is one of the honored and representative citizens of this place, and has been particularly interested in the Grand Army of the Republic, being a member of Monona Post No. 495, which he helped to organize and of which he was the first Quartermaster.
The Squire was born January 30, 1848, in Cummington, Mass., and from a very early age was obliged to make his own way in the world. His father, Alfred Tucker, was a native of Waterwapsett, Worredshire, England; his birth occurred in 1801. He was a farmer by occupation. His death occurred in Windsor, Mass., when he was still a young man. His wife, who before hermarriage bore the name of Emily Newell, was of French ancestry and a native of Canada. William N. is the fourth child in their family of six, comprising four sons and two daughters. When eight years of age he went to New York to live with an uncle in Tompkins County, and remained with him on a farm for several years, there acquiring a practical knowledge of agricultural duties.
Among the young men who responded with patriotism to the call of their country for devoted sons to battle in the cause of freedom was Mr. Tucker, who first enlisted in September, 1861, as a member of Company C, Seventy-sixth New York Volunteers in the infantry service. He was then only thirteen years of age and remained in this company until 1862, when he was discharged on account of disability. The patriotic youth re-enlisted as soon as he had recovered his health, being placed in Company B, of the Ninth New York Heavy Artillery, and served until the close of the war. Among the leading battles in which he took part are the following: Gaines' Mill, the second battle of Bull Run, Sulphur Springs, Cedar Creek, Petersburg and Richmond. He escaped severe injury in these and numerous other engagements, but at one time was hit by a spent ball and lay in the snow for some time without attention, the effect of which was that he lost the use of his left side for seven months. He was first under General Butler, and laer with McDowell, Sheridan and General Mead. He received an honorable discharge near Georgetown, a short distance from Washington, in 1865 and returned to New York.
In 1868 Mr. Tucker came to Iowa, arriving in Allamakee County in April. From there he came to Clayton County, and in 1876 started a harness shop in this place, a business in which he had previously been engaged for seven years. After a period of two years his health failed him and he eventually abandoned the business. In hopes of recruiting his health he went to the Red River Valley in Marshall County, Minn., in 1884, where he engaged in running and operating a farm for about two years. In 1886, he once more returned to Monona, but since that time has not been actively engaged in commercial pursuits.
Appreciating his worth and ability the fellow-citizens of Mr. Tucker in 1894 elected him Justice of the Peace, and formerly, when in Minnesota, he served as Township Treasurer. September 5, 1882, occurred his marriage to Clara C. Daubenberger, who was born in Rockton, Ill., in 1864 and grew to womanhood in Iowa. Her death occurred September 16, 1892, and her loss has been truly and sincerely mourned by her many friends in this locality. She left one child, a little daughter, Velva M., who was born July 13, 1885, during her parents' residence in Marshall County, Minn. In his political opinions Mr. Tucker is an ardent Republican and in everything pertaining to the interests of his party he is greatly interested.