John R. Moser
John R. Moser, one of the vigorous and representative farmers of Mallory township, is here the owner of the fine old homestead farm which figures as the place of his nativity, his birth having here occurred on the 2d of August, 1874. He is a son of Nicholas and Annie Marie (Mulett) Moser, both natives of the fine little republic of Switzerland.
Nicholas Moser was reared and educated in his native land and came to the United States when a young man. He passed the first three years in the state of Ohio and then came to Clayton county, Iowa, where he purchased a tract of land in Mallory township and where he developed one of the valuable farms of the county, this old homestead having continued as his place of residence until his death, which occurred on the 26th of January, 1904. The devoted companionship that had existed during the entire period of the married life of this sturdy pioneer and his gentle wife was not long severed, for she passed to eternal rest about one month prior to his death, the date of her demise having been January 4, 1904. Both were devout members of the United Brethren church, and he was a Democrat in his political proclivities.
The subject of this sketch is the youngest of the surviving children and concerning the others specific mention is made on other pages, in the review of the career of an older brother, Lewis D. John R. Moser is indebted to the well conducted school of district No. 4, Mallory township, for the effective educational discipline which he received in his boyhood and youth, and in the mean while he waxed strong in physical powers also, through the duties that fell to his portion in connection with the work of the home farm. Upon arriving at his legal majority he purchased the old home place of one hundred and eighty-eight and one-half acres, in Section 4, Mallory township, this being only a part of the landed estate that had been accumulated by his honored father. He has made excellent improvements on the farm, including the erection of modern buildings, and has demonstrated most significantly the worthy success that is to be gained in this favored section of the state through well ordered operations in diversified farming and the raising of good grades of live stock, the farm of Mr. Moser showing at all times the best types of work horses, graded cattle and Poland-China swine.
Mr. Moser gives his allegiance to the Democratic party, is affiliated with the Osterdock lodge of the In dependent Order of Odd Fellows, and his wife is a communicant of the Lutheran church, he himself having been reared in the faith of the United Brethren church.
On the 28th of December, 1898, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Moser to Miss Elizabeth D. Morarend, who was born and reared in Jefferson township, this county, and who is a daughter of Dietrich and Dorothea (Schroeder) Morarend. Mr. and Mrs. Moser became the parents of five children, three daughters and two sons. Millard L., who was the third in order of birth, died in infancy. The surviving children, who remain members of the ideal circle of the parental home, are Florence, Mabel, Elvah, Bert and Vera.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page
Return to 1916 Biographies Index