John H. Meyer
John H. Meyer - In Section 35, Farmersburg township, is situated the fine rural estate of John H. Meyer, who is one of the prominent representatives of agricultural and live-stock industry in Clayton county, and whose prestige along these lines is the more pleasing to note by reason of the fact that the farm which he owns and operates includes the old homestead of his parents and is the place of his birth, which here occurred on the 19th of January, 1879. He is the son of Louis and Elizabeth (Moellering) Meyer, both whom were born and reared in Germany. Louis Meyer was a young man at the time of immigration to America, in 1854, in which year he established his residence in Clayton county and became of of the pioneers of Farmersburg township. In 1862 he purchased a tract of eighty acres of land in this township, and this proved the nucleus around which he developed a fine landed estate of two hundred and eighty acres, with incidental advancement to a place as one of the most enterprising and successful farmers of the township. His marriage was solemnized July 5, 1861, and he and his wife are now living retired with their son, John H., both having become communicants of the Lutheran church while they were young folk. Of their children, Louis W., who is a prosperous farmer in Clayton township; Margaret is deceased; Mary is deceased; Henry L., is now a resident of Plymouth county, this state; John H., of this review, was the next in order of birth; Elizabeth is the wife of Theodore Meyer, of Garnavillo. The father has been an influential figure in community affairs, has been a loyal supporter of the Democratic party and has served as road superintendent, as well as a director and also treasurer of the school board of his district.
John H. Meyer acquired his early education in the public schools of his native township and from his youth to the present time the old homestead farm has been the stage of his productive activities. He purchased the farm from his father in December, 1911, and is thus the owner of an estate of two hundred and eighty acres, virtually all being available for cultivation and with improvements of exceptionally superior order, including the best type of farm buildings. The attractive home is a substantial and commodious brick house of ten rooms and the farm is recognized as one of the model places of Clayton county, with the best of provisions and facilities for the carrying on of diversified agriculture and the raising of approved grades of live stock. Mr. Meyer has never deviated from the line of close allegiance to the Democratic party and though he has no desire for public office he has given his influence and cooperation in the furtherance of those things that conserve the communal well being and he is now serving as treasurer of the school board of the district in which he himself pursued his studies as a boy and youth. He and his wife hold membership in the German Lutheran church and their home receives services on rural mail route No. 2 from the village of St. Olaf.
On the 8th of June, 1904, was
solemnized the marriage of Mr. Meyer to Miss Caroline
Meyer, who likewise was born and reared in this county
and is representative of a pioneer family concerning
which adequate mention is made on other pages, in the
sketch dedicated to her brother, Theodore Meyer. Mr. and
Mrs. Meyer have two children - Laverne Elizabeth, who was
born May 20, 1905 and Louis C., who was born February 26,
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page
Return to 1916 Biographies Index