Laurence L. Linder
Laurence L. Linder is effectively proving his pregressiveness and facility as one of the representative business men of the younger generation in the vital little city of Volga, where he was for a time associated with Edward Gleason in the ownership and conduct of a well-equipped hardware store. He was born in Volga township, this county, on the 26th of August, 1891, and is a son of George Theodore and Amelia Matilda (Younkman) Linder, the former of whom was born and reared in this county, a representative of a sterling pioneer family, and the latter of whom was born in the state of Pennsylvania. Of their three children the first, Ada, died in infancy; Lawrence L., of this review, was the second; and the youngest is Dola, who remains with his parents on the homestead farm. Laurence L. Linder continued his studies in the public schools until he had completed the curriculum of the Volga high school, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1908. Thereafter he continued his association with the work and management of his father's farm until 1913, when he purchased an interest in the Shales hardware establishment at Volga. Subsequently Shales sold to Gleason and on April 26, 1916, the latter sold out his interest to Mr. Linder and he has since continued a vigorous and popular factor in the direction of the substantial and prosperous enterprise. His political proclivities are indicated by his alignment with the Democratic party. His wife is a member of the Catholic church at Volga. On the 20th of September, 1914, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Linder to Miss May Cecelia Quinn, and they have a fine little son, Laurence Leroy, who was born May 4, 1915.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page 251
Return to 1916 Biographies Index