Albert R. Larson
Albert R. Larson is another of the vigorous and progressive citizens who are upholding the high prestige of Clayton county as a center of prosperous enterprise along the lines of agricultural and live-stock industry, and his well improved farm, comprising one hundred and forty acres, is eligibly situated in Section 10, Highland township, in which township he has maintained his home from the time of his birth, the date of his nativity having been March 3, 1870. He is a son of R. C., and Rachel Larson, both natives of Norway and both young at the time when their parents came to America and established their residence in Clayton county, in the pioneer period of the history of this section of the Hawkeye state. R. C. Larson was a lad of nine years at the time of the family immigration to America and during the long intervening years he has been a resident of Clayton county, where he has achieved success through his connection with agricultural industry and where he and his wife still reside on their old homestead farm, in Highland township, his political support being given to the Republican party and the abiding religious faith of the family being that of the Norwegian Lutheran church. The eldest of the children of this honored pioneer couple is Mary, who is the wife of E. E. Gunderson, of Highland township; Christ is now a resident of North Dakota; the subject of this sketch is the third child; Julia remains at the parental home; Sophia is the wife of B. O. Paulson, of Blooming Prairie, Minnesota; and Henry is a resident of Edgerton, Wisconsin. Albert R. Larson continued his effective association with the activities of the home farm until he had gained the dignity of his legal majority, and in the meanwhile he had profited fully by the advantages afforded in the public schools. At the age of twenty-one years he rented the home farm, and after having there continued his successful operations in an independent way for a period of five years he purchased his present farm, which he has made one of the really model places of his native township and which is the stage of his energetic and successful activities as an agriculturist and stock-grower. He is a Republican in politics and both he and his wife hold membership in the Norwegian Lutheran church. Their pleasant home is a few miles distant from Elkader, the county seat, and from that place it receives service on rural mail route No. 3. On the 18th of June, 1896, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Larson to Miss Mary Larson, who was born and reared in this county, and who is a daughter of Peter and Carrie (Benson) Larson. Mr. and Mrs. Larson became the parents of eight children, of whom the last two, died in fancy. The surviving children, all of whom still remain at the parental home are: Isabel, Philemon, Nella, Glenn, Paul and Laurence.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page 242-243
Return to 1916 Biographies Index